Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day To Me

For the past few years we have celebrated Mother’s Day at our home and this year is no exception. Because my mother-in-law works the night shift it is sometimes hard to coordinate get togethers with the entire family. She is so good about being flexible but I know it is hard on her body and spirit to get less sleep than she needs. I too have felt the effects of sleep deprivation this weekend as not only was in Mother’s Day at my house but also the weekend of my rummage sale and the weekend that Tim’s parents did their big move--- WTF I know. But I have to say everyone pitched in to help each other. Sharon and Jeremy came over to help set up the sale on Thursday while Tim and I tried to get all the treasures out of the garage. I have always offered to let anyone who is interested in putting things in the sale and this year it was a doosie. Poor Jeremy had just gotten out of the hospital for a few days recovering from a ruptured appendix so he was cool with watching the girls and keeping them out of trouble. As soon as the garage door went up and people saw us filling the tables we had customers- it was crazy especially cause I didn’t even have signs out on the streets (and I never did end up putting them out). I just have that many passerby’s on my street that check to see what’s going on up on our hill--- my reputation for great rummaging must precede me --- hahaha. There was a guy who was so excited that he spent almost an hour helping us unpack the garage so he could have first dibs on the things he liked. He kept apologizing if he wasn’t putting things in the right places and all I could do was thank him for the free labor- it was great! We ran the sale on Thursday afternoon, Friday all day and on Saturday for the morning. I was pretty much on my own this year as far as sitting the sale went because Thursday after we set the tables up Tim went to help his dad move some things. The only problem was it was supposed to take an hour and ended up taking three--- what was an issue because I had the girls by myself and was still running the sale… I was not happy to say the least. But he rolled in around 7 and we covered the tables, gave the girls a bath and hit the hay. Friday went well with no real issues except that my parents were going to watch the girls but my dad came down with pneumonia so they couldn’t take them. No worries… we can make this work. So my mom came over in the morning and because Timmy gets done at 11 he stayed home for the day with them. On Saturday Karla came to watch them while Tim helped his parents move the large items (with his truck) to their new place- which looks amazing FYI. I think they did a really good job. We sent over a dozen boxes of things to donation and then kept a few treasures for the sale in September. At this point I am sure you are saying to yourself “It seems like a lot of trouble to have a garage sale… why do it?” And while I am setting up I can assure you that I am thinking that very same things. But by the end of the three days our group made over 1400.00 --- on stuff… I know--- its crazy. Hopefully we can do as well in September and I can get some seat heaters installed---  What? Winter is cold here especially in scrub pants - hehehe. Sunday was super relaxing (after I did some fast and furious housekeeping) with great family, food and DILLY BARS!!! I think that may be one of my favorite things about Mother’s Day. Sharon gives me a plant for my flowerbed and Karla brings dilly bars- cherry even- my favorite.

No comments: