Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Baking with Bella

One of Bella’s favorite things to do recently is baking. For Christmas my Aunt Barb and Uncle Bruce got her this little pretend cupcake set that had a baking tray and even a hot oven mit! It also had little Velcro candles and frosting with tiny cupcake wrappers- adorable! Since then she and Via have been playing with it almost every morning and even braking out the tea set to have Daddy and I enjoy the cupcakes with some yummy tea reminding us to blow on it because it is HOT.  She has also been intrigued with the process of baking and has been a diligent taste tester for both her grandmothers as well as Daddy’s little helper in the kitchen. Lately for some reason I have been making cupcakes as thank yous for some folks at work and she is all about being Mommy’s little soux chef. She will dump the water and oil in and I have considered letting her crack the eggs in but we are not quite there yet. When it comes time to use the hand mixer she covers her ears because she thinks it’s scary but when it’s over she comes around again. I think her favorite part is putting all the little liners in the cupcake tins although she probably likes to clean the beaters even more (yes I let her eat raw eggs- it’s just a little I swear). When they are all done baking she likes to have one right out of the over when they are still hot. It’s hilarious because she calls them muffins. I have tried over and over to correct her and she will nod her head and say “yes… muffins.” “No Katie- cupcakes” “yes muffins.” It may be futile at this point but certainly cute. When they have cooled for a bit then we get out all of our gear, the frosting, and go to town decorating our goodies. We even made strawberry tie died cupcakes and later the same week some red velvet with cream cheese frosting. Yum yum yum! The girl can’t help it that she likes sugar- I think it’s in her genes- but my goodness… The other day I found her sitting on the floor taking shots of sprinkles! She looked up at me with the messiest face and says “Look Mamma, they are Pink!” I almost died- if that isn’t my kid I don’t know who could be.

No comments: