Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Change it up... 80s Style

This past weekend we had Kyra and it was super fun. I love it when she is totally relaxed and we can just chill out around the house. In March she and my parents will be going to Disney World in Florida so she is always trying to pick up a little money doing odd jobs around the house. She has had a hard time understanding that there are some jobs she is just expected to do that I am not going to pay her for. Ie: making her bed, picking up her room, setting the table etc. But when she goes above and beyond the typical chores I will then pay her. I have been cleaning out closets like a madwoman this winter trying to get some items together for the rummage sale and to declutter our home and in turn our lives . This has actually lessened the burden of cleaning all the time so it’s a win win situation for me for sure. But for poor Kyra who volunteered, this involves moving said full boxes of “treasures” through the snow and up to the loft. At first she was all about it and excited to negotiate her fee… but about half way through she sorta puttered out and wanted to quit. I explained to her that “work” is not usually fun and you just have to talk yourself through it till its over… she was not onboard with this at all and grumbled the remainder of the chore. I can understand the feeling but I was not going to let her quit after she had already started. I helped her haul them and her fee was cut in half. She also volunteered to clean out my car and Tim’s truck which I was super stoked about. Until I checked over her job and found that this did not include checking under the seats- whoops! She is learning though so I cut her some slack- this time.
On Saturday Kyra and I went during nap time to get our hair cut. I just needed a trim but she wanted to do something dramatic- and so she did. Tim’s only stipulation was that he didn’t want her to look like a boy- easy enough to accommodate that. So she google-d a few examples of what she wanted and we went from there. I was trying really hard not to get in the way and to let her explain to the stylist herself what she wanted. This became an issue though when the lady cutting her hair was super timid and hardly did anything at all- eesh. So being the caring mother I am (control freak may be another useable verb) I stepped in and reminded Kyra that if there was something particular she wanted to she had to vocalize that… with a little push she and the stylist worked it out and she was happy in the end. That night I had a 80’s themed party to go to and so she had a blast getting myself and a girlfriend ready to go out- it was hilarious because she was telling me what looked “80s” and what didn’t. For real? Like I wasn’t alive then? I will take the compliment but what a goofball!

No comments: