Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Since the day my father was diagnosed with cancer I swore that I would never miss another Father's Day with him... and I haven't. This year was no different and we started out by going to church with him and then breakfast at my parents. Originally I asked Tim if he had anything in mind for his big day. And as I said it I realized that most likely he would be spending the day with his own father so really what he wanted to do was of little concern. So I gave him some good morning kisses, took the BellaVista with me and headed to church. When given the option of having one, two or all three girls Timmy chose the oldest and the youngest. At first I was like "why are you not taking all the girls for father's day???" Don't you want your kids for this of all male holidays... and then I remembered what I was thinking of on Mother's Day--- I love my children but could someone please just leave me alone for one day? Just one. Ahhhhhhh to dream.
We took my dad to see PC Junction which is a bar/restaurant that we found while I was in an "outsider Art" class during my bachelor degree at UWGB. Since then we hadn't been back but now was the time. Bella was only a baby then so now at age 3 almost 4 she can identify what is happening and what amazing things that could happen next. This is a picture of the train that runs the entire length of the bar and on the little cars the staff places your drink orders along with food orders and sometimes some very fun play items (ie: bubbles). so Bella was super stoked when her root beer was delivered to our stop "Whitefish Bay" I think was the name of our table and even more so when her burger showed up. We considered ordering ice cream but at 4.00 a cone we thought we may try that the next time we visit.
Bella, like my cousin Kristina, has love for piggys. Krissy's potbelly pig is named Buttercup and every time we visit the Sparta area her first concern is Great Grandma, and seeing Buttercup is number two... what a sweetie. So when we walked in the woods behind the restaurant we found this--- an 800lb pig-- she was stoked! The picture doesn't do it justice because this little guy was HUGE. The owner said that he was originally going to butcher it for bacon on his burgers but then decided against. I thought when Kaitlynn heard this she was going to freak out but all she did was nod her head and say "I like bacon." (that is definitely my child). As we walked further in the woods we saw another pig pen with some youngsters and she wanted to take one home- what a doll. We played in the woods and rode on the mini go carts for a while till it was time to leave. I cant wait to come back with a whole crew of people to explore the grounds some more- this was great!
The Summer has been so hot that we chose to finish the Father's Day afternoon at the beach. The temperature is usually at least 10 degrees cooler than in town and who doesn't like dipping their toes in the water to cool off. Since my dad's surgery I have found that he is way more susceptible to changes in temperature... but I suppose that is bound to happen after losing 75 pounds. In all honesty if you hadn't known him prior to the surgery he looks just fine. I guess I just remember the crabby, funny, determined hard worker from my childhood. Not that its a bad thing that he has changed--- its just different. I never really considered the fact that my parents were getting older and with a change in age and health could bring a change in personality... it happens all the time... just not to me. When all is said and done I am greatful for every second I have with my father and I feel blessed to still have him in my life. I did not appreciate him enough and now I am trying to make up for being such a handful in my childhood  :)

No comments: