Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Big 85

This very well could have been one of the best days of my life. Grandma turns 85 this year which when you sit down and think about it is quite the accomplishment. I sometimes feel a little desensitized to just how long that must be. I turned 31 this year and it seems like forever but then I look back to age 20 and think “Man that feels like only yesterday.” Although I must say that in no way or shape do I ever want to go back to my twenties. Too many life lessons and trying to find myself. I am enjoying my thirties and frankly so far they have been amazing. Enough about how happy I am (lol) and back to Grandma or Great-Grandma (my best friend) as Katie would say. This weekend we celebrated her birthday with a party at my Aunt Barb and Uncle Bruce’s house in Melrose, Wi. It is about 15 minutes from Black River which is on the Western side of the state. As soon as we got there the girls b-lined it for the bunny hut and to see the donkeys. They had so much fun picking grass and feeding it to the little guys. We spent probably a good 45 minutes (I swear it felt longer) saying hello to the donkeys before we made it up to the house for lunch. Bruce had ordered Amish donuts and if it wouldn’t put me into a diabetic coma I would eat a steady diet of them (shhhh I had 4) -- Amazeballs. After lunch and a few gifts we all loaded up and took a tractor/trailer ride to the nearby Amish farmstead/garden/greenhouse. I love to go to these places because it can be so taboo in society today. I mean you walk into the local WalMart and if you see someone in a floor length dark dress, a pioneer style hat and apron most people can’t help but be inquisitive. However, cutting out the middle man and seeing them in their natural surroundings (I am not trying to make them sound like a zoo exhibit but am failing miserably I know) was super cool! I have such respect and admiration for the Amish, as they can obtain from all the conveniences of today. And they know about them too! It’s not like they don’t know what they are missing. I am not sure that I could do it--- cell phones yes, face book you bet, but music--- that’s a no go for me. It is absolutely not ok to take photos of the Amish so I had to be sneaky about getting a few snapshots. I guess Karma was not in my corner because as soon as I turned to take a picture Katie got nipped by a dog on their farm---argh. This is her second dog bite in two days (We were down at the barn on my Uncles farm and one of the dogs scratched/bit her face when she leaned in for a kiss) so I am pretty sure she is traumatized (hopefully not) for life.

After our ride to visit the Amish we all visit a bit more. Dad got to see some of his Aunts and Uncles and even a few of his cousins. I got to visit with my cousins Kristina and Teresa which was nice because I don’t get to see them all too often. You would think that it would be easy enough just to pick up the phone or to shoot off an email but it never seems to happen. So it was great to sit around (in-between running after the kiddos) and chat with them. Krissy even brought a piƱata that the little ones took turns trying to whack… they were adorable… and the best part??? CANDY!!! Thanks Kris ;)

No comments: