Saturday, May 21, 2011

Somethings wrong with Olivia

These have been the scariest 48 hours of my life… and still no answers. It all started on Thursday around 1pm while I was getting ready to hop in the shower. Timmy called from the living room for me to check out livi’s lips because it was the same thing she had done the day before. She hates to wear socks so I thought she was cold. My heart dropped- my baby wasn’t breathing. I grabbed her from Tim and literally terrified him while I started a makeshift CPR to revive her. It took about a minute but she finally came around and started to breathe after I puffed an unknown amount of air in her nose… but she was breathing. I will never forget the way she looked all floppy and blue/purple but her eyes were open. She was looking right at me but not focused at all… she was a dead baby. (Whew- need to take a breath myself) I called the doctor- which was dumb and talked to the nurse. She told me in not so many words that I was an idiot for not calling an ambulance and that we needed to get to the ER asap. We called Sharon and Jeremy to see if we could drop Katie off for a while and of course they said yes- we flew out of that house leaving ou lunch still on the table (happy eating Spunky). We packed the girls in the SUV and made the two mile drive to Tim’s parents- practically threw Kailtynn out of the truck and I climbed in the back to be with Via. We made it to the hospital and got her registered and waited… and waited… and waited. Finally we got called back and she was seen by the nurses and the doctors- she was fine. Actually more than fine- she was laughing and giggling and playing on the big white bed. At first they were going to send us home but I couldn't accept that knowing something was wrong. So, I recreated the situation and then they believed me- she stopped breathing again- this time much shorter but stopped still the same. We got an IV placed and ran a whole lot of tests before the pediatrician on duty let us know we were going to stay in the hospital overnight incase she did it again… here comes a REALLY long night. We got settled in and they informed us she would be having a 70 minute EEG done in the room. ( a scan to look at brain activity) Really? On a 8 month old? (8 month and 1 day to be exact) But they assured me that it was done frequently so I helped the nurse hold her down so they could attach the probes. Now- If you know me, I am a fighter… like a momma tiger- you hurt my babies and I will claw your eyes out… but this was me holding her down- it was horrible. We got the test results and it was clear- and so was the EKG (to check her heart) all of that for seemingly nothing. Tim’s parents came by to see her and Paula and Andy were good enough to keep Bella for a while (I didn’t want her to see her sister). I called my parents and filled them in but didn’t want to freak them out too much- however I failed terribly. They showed up shortly after and help the baby… everyone held the baby. I don’t think I put her down for more than 10 minutes at a shot. Its funny to think that I wasn’t sure how well we had bonded after she was born- now I know… and will never take her for granted again. So after a long and sleepless night we got discharged with no new news but a bajillion questions. We went to see the Pediatric Neurologist ($$$) in his office and he has put her on a 72 hour EEG for over the weekend. I think I was traumatized the first time they glued those 18 probes on her head so this time I had Timmy do it- I had hit my limit. He did great with it and took all the directions well. I have so say he has totally been my rock through this whole thing and I think our family and marriage is going to be stronger because of it. We got through the night last night and she was pretty and pink this morning. I can assure you that neither of us slept so well but I borrowed a oxygen monitor and an heart monitor from work so it would alarm if she stopped breathing again. The EEG study is to try and catch an “Episode” when she stops breathing because they think it may be due to seizures… Really… you want me to intentionally get my baby to strop breathing? It seems ridiculous- mainly because it is- but if we ever want any answers we need to do it. So this afternoon at 1pm we induced an “episode” which lasted about a minute. She did the same thing but not quite as horrifying, and after another minute or so she pinked up and smiled at us like normal. There is something so wrong with this situation. The shining star during this moment of darkness in our lives is the fact that I know what to do- like really know what to do- thanks for sending me to school Dad- it saved your grandbaby. Thank you to everyone else that is helping us through this incredibly hard time- you mean a whole lot to us!

No comments: