Thursday, July 21, 2011

History Lives!!!

Kyra was able to attend Heritage Hill again this year as a Birthday gift from my parents. Three days a week she was able to dress in period clothing (adapted of course) and immerse herself into life of the 17 and 1800s. She has participated in the day camp for the past few years and had totally loved it. This year was different though because she chose to re-live the Civil War camp. She was totally stoked to wear "boy" clothes even though she doesn't look like a solider- but that's not the point ;) I was so proud of her choosing something that she hasn't tried before and something that is not defined by gender roles. I know I may be on my high horse here right not but I am trying as much as possible to expose her to the truth as I can- whether it be good or bad. And seeing she has such an interest in history- I thought why not let her explore what it was like to be a man in the Civil War- I am sure it was hell. She packed her little lunch and had three wonderful albeit hot days at the historic park. I am looking forward to experiencing more of our nation's history with her and helping her reason and answer why people chose to act the way they did. We may not always agree with each other in our world- the best we can hope to do is try learn why things were done and use these lessons to make our futures better. Next up on our journey of being good hearted people- "The Help" a film about gender stereotyping, racism and Southern Slam... it should be good- I hope!

No comments: