Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Break out the Chainsaws

The weather this summer has been pretty odd… to say the least. It seems as though good ol’ Mother Nature just can’t make up her mind… unless her goal is to make us utterly miserable… and if that’s the case- she’s got it for sure. This spring was cool and wet for all of April and May while in June it warmed up a bit but was still rain rain rain. They say that this was the “wettest” year on record for Green Bay, and now I believe it. Don’t get me wrong, I still love those Summer thunderstorms just as much as I used to, but now I have a new point of view.This past weekend we had another thunderstorm that dumped a whole lot of rain with it. We had the good fortune to have a land lord that is a super duper planner and last fall had the rain gutters redone so we did not have the clogs in them that we used to... which means no flooding- but unfortunately it did not keep us protected from the wind. I had to sleep during the day because I had worked the previous night shift and when I got up to take the dog outside I found that our big maple tree had lost some branches… or rather limbs or maybe trunks. At any rate, HUGE. Tim’s dad and my dad got their chainsaws out and helped us clean up the yard Sunday afternoon. We had spent the morning at a Church Picnic/ Rummage Sale/ Parade (a-w-e-s-o-m-e) and were letting the girls nap before we got to the action. I have to say I was mighty impressed with how fast it all got cleaned up. Kyra and my mom were awesome runners and we filled the trailer with branches a few times before the heat totally kicked out butts. The weather never did cooperate … it was like working in a sauna… I hate it when it’s hot and humid with no breeze… sweating all over totally gets in my way. Lucky for me I was on baby duty so I got to stay in the house for the most part and cook supper. I guess they didn’t want me around anything with a motor seeing I hadn’t slept yet from the night before (sleep is overrated sometimes). All in all it went really smoothly and I am glad we got it done when we did because not too far behind that came some more rain… its getting a little redunkalous.

No comments: