Monday, March 19, 2012
Church Road
About a week ago we were having
some crazy weather in the sense that with the heat came melting of the
snow. And in some areas there was more snow than others. Like out by my
parents in the county they had more accumulation then we did in town
because of drifting and such. Growing up out there you always knew to be
careful in the springtime because the snow would melt off the farm
fields into the drainage ditches and start to flood. That water would
eventually run itself over the Weekquiock falls and down to the bay of
Green Bay. There were problems though with it actually coming up over
the banks and flooding the street. Well a few years ago (probably 10…
when these girls were little and would not have noticed it) the town
expanded the water underpass beneath Church Road to make it possible for
the water to move faster in the hopes that it would not flood quite as
much. It was at this time that they took down the guardrails because
they were putting in new cement culverts (of sorts). I cant tell you how
it happened, weather that be the wet roads, going too fast, a
distraction at the wheel or lack of experience driving, but last week
two 16 year old girls lost their lives in that creek bed. Everything
that could have gone wrong for them did go wrong. There was melting
conditions with the addition of rain and coming right off a highway to
turn right takes some preparation. I am not sure exactly what happened
but last Monday they flipped their car upside down into the creek and
drowned… it’s so sad. It makes me want to take Kyra to go see it and
discuss the accident with her. These girls were only a few years older
than her and now they are gone forever- because of something they did
themselves. It’s not like it was someone else’s fault… I hope to instill
in her the concept that cars are actually quite dangerous and can
literally kill you if you are not careful. I remember being a kid and
hearing about the first person around my age to be killed in an
accident. Jack Rakin was about 14 years old and was riding on an ATV on
one of the local country highways. I don’t know if he was messing around
or if the semi driver was looking down but it really didn’t matter
because he got hit by a semi and that was that. I still shudder every
time I go past the intersection when we are traveling that way. And I am
pretty sure that I wont ever forget this unfortunate event either,
especially seeing there are crosses staked into the creek on the corner
of Church Road (my parents live right off this street). The creepy part
is that there is a cemetery right across the highway. Thank Goodness
they were not members of Holy Cross, but could you imagine dying only 30
yards from where you would be buried? It totally gibes me the willies. I
had heard about it at work that night and lucky for me they did not
come into the hospital I worked at. Not that it really would have
mattered because they had died right there in the creek bed but an MD
has to actually declare them dead not an EMT. I just didn’t want to have
to experience what a parent goes through when their child dies- I hope I
never have too. I hugged the hell out of those babies when I got home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment