Monday, January 28, 2013

Fender Bender

A few weeks ago I was headed home from my parents home to get the girls and myself packed and ready for a night of swimming before my weekend to work. That was until our car got smacked from behind just a few blocks from our house. REALLY!!! IT was dusk right around 4pm (thank goodness the darkest days of winter are behind usd now) but its not like it was difficult to see us with bright red brake lights. There was a car turning left, a car stopped behind them and then myself stopped behind that vehicle, all dead stopped. Now if you can imagine Green Bay having a rush hour it was about this time but in all honesty it was not like there were that many cars on the road. The girls were watching their movie in the back seat and didn't even notice that we got smacked, but I sure did. I didn't even see her coming up behind me. I never thought that an accident at 25 miles an hour would be all that bad but when you are dead stopped, 25 miles an hour hurts like a biatch. I got out of the vehicle relatively calm and collected with my insurance info in-hand. All of a sudden about 4 or 5 teenagers come barreling out of the car that hit me and start running down the street. WTF? Then they come back with an adult (not a parent) to make sure the girl is okay and then they leave again... I later found out that they were on their way to the high school right down the street from our house and late to make the bus for an away basketball game. I also didn't realize that a driver under the age of 18 is not allowed to have other minors in the car--- what makes sense as to why they were bookin it out of there. So I call the cops. Its like 19 degrees outside. The girls are crabby but distracted. The parents show up. PISSED. The father tells the girl not to say a word to me (assuming guilt and incurring all bills is a concern I assume) however I continue to be sweet as pie. And quiet. The mother thanks me for calling the police and asks for my info. Thank goodness I got a picture of her insurance info because that's the last communication we had. Period. Oh besides her begging me not to tell the police that her daughter had other kids in the car. Now this is where my decision making skills come in to place as to whether I want to wreck this girl or let her slide through. It appeared that the wrath of her father would be more than enough to bear so I didn't bring it up (although I would not have lied had they asked me straight out). The officer finally showed up, got both sides of the story and thanked me for not freaking out on the girl. I didn't say it out loud... but she was lucky I didn't scratch her skinny blonde eyeballs out because I was pissed--- and my neck hurt. Great! I took some Tylenol and we headed to the pool, because honestly... we had to go on with our lives neck ache or not. The girls seemed to be fine and I am not sure they even knew we were in an accident. Kaitlynn at one point (when I checked in on them) asked if we were stopped at a rummage sale. How cute is that!?! Luckily the girl was insured (he car got totaled by the way) and my tank of a car had some dings and dents (some previous to the accident incurred by yours truly) so a face life on the rear end was actually a benefit for me. All the messing around scheduling the time was a pain in the ass but the end result was totally worth it. It was funny when the rental car guy asked me which vehicle I wanted because my choices were a silver SUV, a lime green smart car (two seater) or a giant minivan (which rental or not I will never drive) so we were stuck with the gas guzzler (or so I thought till i filled the tank and it was E85 sidenote: I did not realize this until AFTER i filled it so hopefully I didn't blow anyone up-whoops). It sure was nice to have 4 wheel drive though with all the snow we have had so in the end it worked out to my benefit. And now that I have my car back I cant stop checking out her sweet rear end (and I didn't even lose my batman sticker-score!).

No comments: