Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First day of Retirement

How did you spend the first days of 2013? Well I spent it with my brother in the Emergency Room watching my father being evaluated for an unknown origin of pain and discomfort. It had started the night before and he had difficulty and pain throughout the night. I guess that morning it was too much to handle and he needed to go into the ER. Now a little side note: my dad is not a stranger to the emergency room as he is there every few months or so. This is not to say that he is a woorywart- but that every once in a while since the surgery there is an infection or complication that he needs to deal with, especially recurrent pneumonias. Well this time he was fairly certain it was a heart attack (CRAP!) and so my mom (being the sweet heart she is) called my brother to come and pick dad up to bring him in. Hello!?! Call an ambulance mother!!! At any rate, I had worked the night before so I didnt even know all this was happening until I called out there to go and pick up the girls. When she explained it there were two choices, I could go out there and wait with no answers or leave the girls with her and head to the ER. I chose the later. To make a long story short, he had an EKG (a test that measures the heart beats and makes sure they are rhythmic) various blood work-ups, nitroglycerine and even a two hour stress test to see what was going on with him. Turns out the official diagnosis was (drum roll please......) they are not sure. Stress? Anxiety? No clue. They could find nothing wrong with him. My guess--- his body didn't know what to do without going to work. The first day of retirement though? No matter what the three of us had some good conversations while we waited and I won four bucks on my lottery tickets. Aj caught up on some football and my purse got cleaned out. The most important thing is that Dad was sent home with the knowledge that nothing was wrong with him and to take some deep breaths, relax, and enjoy his retirement... he's earned it.

No comments: