My
deepest apologies for the past few weeks of no blogging. I guess I have
had writers block. Or rather the fact that I don’t want to have to
write about what I am about to write about. Which is super confusing,
but par for the course. Frankly… it sucks. But I
guess its one of the many stages of grief and I just have to get on with
it. Please excuse the mistakes in spelling and poor grammar because I
won’t be proofreading this one before I post it for fear of
uncontrollable crying (not like I ever do that great of a job
anyway-ha!)
Its been a few months… since July 18th
actually, that our very special family pet Spunky went to doggy heaven.
When I was 20 and working at WalMart taking baby pictures I used to
chum around and chat with all the WalMart employees that would walk past
my studio. I had such fun visiting with a few of them we actually
became friends. So when I found out that Michael and Mark his partner
were moving out of state I was super disappointed and a little sad.
That’s when they offered me Spunky. Really? A dog? You betcha. They
explained that the place they were moving into would not allow pets and
they needed to find a new home for him. I was their gal. At first I
tried to change Spunky’s name to Max or Buster but to no avail. He was
Spunky… my snaggle toothed, pug faced wiener dog… and I loved him
instantly. They weren’t sure exactly how old he was but it didn’t
matter. Over the years he was there by my side through marriage, two
pregnancies and my father’s battle with cancer. He was always supportive
(albeit stinky) and loved me no matter what. He kept the crook in my
knees warm at night and I miss him terribly.
The
girls (especially Kyra) have struggled with him being gone too. But it
seems that everyday it hurts a little less and the great memories
overpower the stingy tears. I finally was able to put up a picture in
the house and here I am writing about him. I need to remember to
celebrate him not keep the emotions locked up. It just sucks. Kyra cried
the most when I told them but Bella cried the hardest. She was
devastated when we finally told her. She begged for us to bring him back
and after a few hours gave us an ultimatum… If you cant bring back my
“dead dog”… I need a baby brother or a new girl dog. Straight faced and
with all sincerity… it was heartbreaking and adorable all at the same
time. Via didn’t struggle with him being gone really at all. I think
when it was all said and done she was relieved that he was not around
because towards the end there Spunky was nipping at the girls. It was
only a matter of time before he got ahold of one of them and really hurt
someone. I suppose its not totally his fault because the girls loved to
pick on him. Not in a mean way but they just wouldn’t leave him alone.
They used to dress him up, put jewelry and crowns on his head and even
donned his royal leash leading him around the house. Miss Via was
totally amazed by his “boy parts”… my kids are a breed all their own I
swear.
Its
odd too what will remind me of Spunky. Like the other day I was mowing
the lawn and realized I didn’t have to pick up stay dog poop out of the
grass. Which was a relief and a bummer all that the same time. OR when I
came across one of his Halloween costumes and priced it for the rummage
sale. I kept his Harley Davidson jacket and his collar. I had to. (and I
had him cremated. Shhhh- don’t tell my mother- she thinks its creepy.
Talking about creepy- originally I was going to have him stuffed… now
that’s creepy- but I would have loved it). It breaks my heart, and I
miss him a lot, but it was getting to the point where he couldn’t do the
things he wanted to do. Mr. Spunky-Roo lived a nice long life (11 years
or so) and next his buddy (my dad when we were on vacation) went to
heaven on the afternoon of July 18th. It was sunny and warm and I was assured that he drifted peacefully to sleep… his favorite place to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment