Saturday, August 10, 2013

Where's that Ball???


What can I say… she’s just not an athlete. Not that she is not athletic at all, she just thinks that everything should come second nature and easily. And in this case, it just doesn’t. Kyra has found soccer the past few years to be quite challenging but she has taken it in stride and made some serious progress. I fear though that this may be her last year. She is feeling the pressure from her teammates and coaches to “be” someone she is not. She cannot tune out or organize the demands between the two and is finding it super hard to play. I don’t want to her to feel like we are forcing her to participate, but Tim and I both truly feel that being part of team sports teaches kids social dynamics. I realize that she may feel less than adequate but that’s part of growing up. So we shall see how this all unfolds next year. I have to admit that I wouldn’t mind just having one child in soccer over the summer for a few years. And if Kyra doesn’t love soccer anymore than I appreciate her giving it a shot for a few years. However, I do think that it is important for her to do group activities with her peers. Maybe we can find a teen drama class or something along those lines. It doesn’t matter to me what she does, as long as it doesn’t involve laying on the couch with one of her various electronic devices all day long.

No comments: