When
I was a kid I spent my Easter holiday out in Arizona with my mom’s side
of the family. Once in a while we would head over to Sparta and see my
Dad’s side but I remember more out in Phoenix (cause it was warm). I
haven’t gone out there for over a decade for sure but I still remember
the smells and the feeling of the sun (especially seeing there was
always still snow on the ground back home). My Grandma always had wash
hanging on the line and I would play in between the sheets with AJ and
Jennifer. We would walk along the fence like looking for tiny lizards
and sniffing (in my case huffing lol) the pretty magenta Boganvia.
Grandpa Jones had a trike (three wheeled bike) with a big basket on the
back. Jennifer and I would always sit on the bike and have AJ push us
around the yard. Poor tiny little AJ pushing a big ol bike by himself.
Not to mention another hundred pounds of little girls. I was such a
jerk. But he loved it!
We
started this Easter season out with an egg hunt in De Pere which is
only a few miles from our house. We typically don’t do the big events in
town (because they are always so busy) but we could tell it was
important to Tim’s aunt so we agreed to do it. I think stuff like this
makes Timmy crazy because he kept yelling at the girls when they were
running down the hill. I honestly didn’t see anything wrong with it
because #1 I could see them the whole time #2 That kept them busy and
out of trouble #3 They were playing with other kids. It truly was a
learning experience because it was blatantly obvious that we parent
differently… gotta work on that I guess. The girls had a blast though.
We spied the Easter bunny going into the building and ran after him to
try and get a picture. We lost him somewhere around the first corner but
waited outside the doors (only a tiny bit stalker-y) and grabbed a few
snapshots. Totally worth it if you ask me. The hunt itself only lasted
probably a minute and a half (because there were so many participants)
which made the 30 minute buildup seem a bit like over-kill but now we
know what to expect for next year.
The
girls played at the park for a quick minute after the hunt which let
Kyra and Karla visit for a bit. It’s hard sometimes for Kyra because we
do things that are a bit juvenile for her but what the girls really
like. I try to remind her that we did the same thing for her when she
was little and we want the girls to be able to have the same experience
but she doesn’t really get it. Or if she does she doesn’t want me to
know lol. No matter what though, Kyra is a great big sister and I
appreciate how tolerant she is of the girls. I know it freaks her out
that they look to her like a role model but it’s inevitable. I don’t
want her to feel pressure from them but it’s gonna happen. You can’t
stop it so it’s probably best to embrace it and cherish the fact that
they actually WANT to see her.
After
the park we headed over to AJ and Anna’s for a visit and a bite to eat.
They recently got a new puppy names Remy (short for Remington… AJ the
avid hunter) and the girls had a great time playing with him. They
haven’t been around animals all too terribly much so they were hesitant
(and still are) but jumped right in and took the chance. After a
delicious meal the girls went out in the yard to find all the Easter
Eggs that Kyra had hidden. I mean the Easter Bunny (*** throat
clearing). They were filled with jelly beans, little flowers (cause the
girls like tiny treasure that I consider garbage but they just gotta
have) and their favorite part…. Pennies!!! Oh my goodness--- the first
egg with pennies that Bella picked up and shook she was like “MONEY!!!”
It made us all laugh so hard (Anna's family from Milton was able to join
us too which made it fun :) That’s
what the holidays should be about. Surrounding yourself with family and
friends that you actually like to spend time with and sharing the time
instead of just tolerating your company… I may have an idealistic
viewpoint but that’s the way I like to look at it… and I am sticking
with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment