Vegetables
are a funny thing. I never really think about them other than raw or
steamed. Maybe in a pasta dish or something but certainly not in my eggs
or a dessert. Now onions yes, maybe even green or red peppers in
fajitas. But not asparagus soup or asparagus in a strawberry salad. Weird.
And awesome. This is what I discovered when the girls and I tagged
along with Mom to Asparagus Fest hosted by the FFA (or something like
that) today. It truly was a menagerie of items on the menu and [patrons
for that matter. I am fairly certain that I was the third youngest
participant being beat only by my children. I would has that median age
was close to 100 (no not really but they were old… real old). And it was
cute to watch these elderly ladies serve up their delicacies through
the buffet line. I am not sure if they thought I was on a diet or what
but my serving of eggs was the assize of a half dollar and I got like
three strawberries, a half a muffin and a pad of butter. Um… for 5 bucks
I better get more than that grandma. So I snuck back in the line and
helped myself to a big bowl of soup (which needed salt that in turn made
it amazing --- those old folks and their high blood pressure). And a
few dinner rolls and a cookie or two (gotta feed my babies). I felt like
an orphan stealing from an open air market or something. Big doe eyes
begging for more. Luckily the girls had no
trouble going up for refills on their tiny Dixie cups of orange juice so
they were happy. I get that it was a fundraiser but holy cannoli- I
went hungry expecting to try a wide assortment of asparagus creations
and pretty much settled on filling up on carbs (don’t tell my mom cause
it might break her heart hahaha). Weird thing was, amidst all the yummy
food and old folks, they had set up a little table with “flea market”
items for sale. It was adorable because you could tell that these ladies
(maybe a man or two but certainly less than 4 present in the whole
room) just went through their homes and picked something to sell. It was
so random! A few gardening items which I would have expected but then
there were holiday decorations and tissue box covers--- just weird. I
guess that’s what they like though. Gotta go with the flow Trina… you
went for the experience! Woosaaaa. After the girls had eaten they got
bored. And I could blame them because it really was catered to adults so
we started to explore the building. It was an old school I think
because there were the coat racks from the 60s that had the hooks and
shelves above to put your hat or lunch. They loved it! We played walking
tag and hide and silent hide and seek. It’s funny because I don’t
expect my kids to be still in public (that’s silly) but I sure as hell
want them to be quiet lol. That’s how I grew up (and I hated it then)
but I see the merit now. Sorry Mom and Dad (yet again). Who knew this
whole parenting thing would be such an enlightening experience. Amidst
the ancient tiles and probably asbestos dense floor tiles the girls and
I found an old splice of very large tree. It was fun to teach the girls
about what the rings meant and how to count how old a tree is. They
loved it! We played professor and Katie taught Via and I all about
nature and how we need to respect and appreciate what we have “because
every day we lose a little oxygen.” My follow up question to her “what
can we do to help Kate???” Her answer “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle Momma.”
Check. Love that kid.
No comments:
Post a Comment