Saturday, July 14, 2012

Big League

Kyra has decided to play soccer again this year and she is doing really well. Because her birthday is in the middle of the summer she has the unfortunate decision of being the oldest or the youngest on the team. because this is only her third year (and frankly girls can be weird about these things sometimes) she was not too sure that she wanted to play up. Unfortunately for her, she had no choice. There were not enough girls her age to make a team so they all had to play up--- way up. Kyra (who just turned 12) is play on a U-15 team. The numbers are a little misleading because you would think she is playing with 15 year old girls which is not totally the case. The ages range from 12-15... so she is still the baby of the league but to tell you the truth--- the girl is holding her own. The first game I went to I got there a little late and it was already started. I honestly thought I had the wrong field because all these girls were my height- wtf?!? But as it turns out, I was definitely at the correct spot and Kyra was right in the thick of it with these girls- it was great. This weekend she is in a tournament and if they win (which they did) they will end up playing a boy's team.. I just told her to hold her ground and to not be disappointed that they are bigger and faster--- but she is smarter--- and that is how they will have to play to beat them. Her favorite position is fullback/defense. She hasn't decided on a side yet and resents that the coach makes them play all the positions (like forward, midfield and goalie) but after she gets over her anxieties she is actually an amazing player. I look at it this way- if she is the baby of the team and is playing this well so far--- just think of what she will be playing like in three years... I could be a soccer mom of  high school player- fo'sho.

Kyra had her friend Shelby sleep over at our house on Friday night. It was the first time she had asked to have a girlfriend come over to our house and it was great. Shelby was such a joy to have with us. At first I was a little cautious because honestly I do not know her mom at all. Kyra had know Shelby from her last school and their moms are good friends but I had no idea what to expect. Especially seeing I am such a control freak and a planner- it was making me crazy. But I survived! I stepped out of my comfort zone, let Kyra be a teenage girl, but with rules and expectations... and the two girls did great. Shelby even helped out with the two little girlies. She pushed the stroller, she helped load them in the car seats and even at Bay Beach she encouraged Kyra to help pitch in even when you could tell that Kyra honestly had to interest in the two bambinos. Shelby is welcome anytime and I am so looking forward to watch these two besties grow up. Oh- the best part- did I mention that Shelby told me she is "straight edge?" I know- it took me a while to let it sink in too (and google it) but "straight edge" means living by high morals in terms of no drugs, no sex and no breaking the law... so my question is whether we can clone Shelby to stay with Kyra all the time??? Its like that little white angel that sits on your shoulder and reminds you to do the right thing... yes please! 
Nice shootin ;)

No comments: