Its been five years since Tim and I took the plunge and said “I do.” I cant say that its been wedded bliss the whole time but I can honestly say that we are working at it and realizing that a marriage has to adapt to its surroundings just like the people in it. I also realized that since Olivia’s birth we have not been away from the girls for more than the occasional nightshift and never Via by herself. I think it stems to when she got sick a year ago and the feeling that we just want to be there if something goes wrong. Knock on wood though there have been no issues since her original episode so we are hopeful that this is something that she can outgrow as she ages… at least that’s what the neurologist has said.
So when our parents asked us what we wanted for our anniversary gift (which was totally not necessary) we really had to think about it… there was nothing that we needed but after a while we decided that the best gift anyone can give is there time. So we pitched the idea of each of them taking the girls for an overnight--- and it worked! Karla came by on Friday and stayed with the girls for the afternoon and early evening which was great because they always have such a great time with her especially because she has a tendency to bring delicious treats for them. We stopped by Fleet Farm on our way out of town to pick up my fishing license (I know…) and then we started heading north. I wasn’t sure where we were going to go for our anniversary and Timmy was honestly no help so I figured we do our best bonding in the car--- so lets do a road trip! Our first overnight was up in Eagle River at a little bed and breakfast without the breakfast part. I wanted to show Timmy that I was willing to try doing something that he found interested so the B&B (or ½ B&B I guess) had waterfront and a dock that we were able to fish off of. And guess what!!! About an hour into it I caught my very first fish EVER… pretty epic. Oddly enough it was our only fish even though we put in quite a few hours but the point was to do something together and learn something about each other. I learned that Tim is a pretty particular guy when it comes to fishing as far as how things are organized and set up. He learned that even though I seem like a rough and tumble kind of girl- I wont touch worms- like refuse to- drop it on the deck even if my life depended on it kind of girl. The other thing we learned is to bring an extra set of car keys along on vacation or be ready to shell out 50 bucks (52.75 to be exact). We were lucky that there was someone around to help us out but it put a little damper (and a whole lot of razzing) on our day. Eagle River is an area of the state that I was able to experience as a young girl all the way through my late teens because my father had a work cabin/resort in the area (St. Germain Wi) and because Tim has never travel up north before I figured he was long overdue. We even went to the “Blink Bonnie” a famous restaurant (at least in my mind) to have some amazing food and watch the dear come out of the woods to visit.
Our second day was comprised of more travel this time almost the entire length of the state! This was of course after I drove us almost a half hour in the wrong direction and added an hour to our travel time-whoops (what’s 5 hours among friends). We stopped on the way at an out of the way Grotto (you know me and my religious art) and took in the beautiful scenery (Tim thought it was creepy but he appeased my interest anyway) and even got to go in a super cool cave. The weather was insanely hot so the cooler temperatures of the underground tunnels were a welcome change from the weather above ground. As we started again we realized that we were going to be early for our three PM check in to the hotel in Portage so we stopped in Baraboo at this super cool farmer/artist’s market in the town square- It was amazing. Especially seeing I picked up an empty wood box and a glass door to make my very own shrine- YES! I was beyond excited for sure. After we checked into the hotel we made our way to the Wisconsin Dells/Delton area and took in the sights there before we went to supper at our favorite restaurant “Marley’s.” We filled our bellies and then spent a little time in the hot tub until a total creeper just wouldn’t stop talking to us. Well early to bed equals early to rise so there we were with another couple hours to do as we pleased. So Timmy took me into Portage and we went exploring… not a lot to do on a Sunday morning in a little town besides go to church but we did happen to find a little antique store that was open--- and I hit the mother load (again). This was turning out to be a great trip. Tim had never seen the “Forevertron” by “Dr. Evermore” so I felt that I needed to take him there. When we got there we actually met his wife and she gave us a little history on the place. She also informed us that later that week the guys from “American Pickers” on the history channel were going to be swinging by to check her out and do a little filming. WTF. This is the best vacation EVER. So we walked the grounds and had some great daydreaming conversations and as we drove away I decided I was going to learn how to weld. Timmy just shook his head and said “add it to the list.” That goofball--- at least he didn’t squash my dream and say no. hahahaha. Our last meal on our little anniversary trip was at “The Cracker Barrel” which I am sure by now you know is in my top five favorite restaurant lists (I cant help that I have the need to categorize and make lists--- its just who I am I guess). I am not certain that I was breathing while I ate because I totally inhaled my chicken and dumplings- delish! Now back to Green Bay to get the kiddos from my parents… I actually missed them a little bit while we were gone. Not like I was desperate to see them or thought of them every second of the day… but when I did it made me happy to think just how lucky I am to have such a great husband and that we created such beautiful children together.
No comments:
Post a Comment