No not really. But I am having my two cousins from Sparta pose with the giant mouse at the Renard's cheese factory on the way down from Door County. This past weekend we were lucky enough to have them visit us! Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the weather here has been just a little less than hellish so we have reverted back to activities I remember from my childhood with out air conditioning--- namely the water. I always forget that we are only a half hour from the lake, and the bay is less than ten minutes. Lucky for me I have a plethora of beach items (which include swimsuits and no less than twenty or so shovels---for reals) all coming from rummage sales of course. Speaking of rummage sales- the time of their visit could not have come at a better time! It was the Algoma Wi city wide rummage sales. Now before you get too excited, Algoma is an itty bitty town in the middle of nowhere but its charm outweighs its lack of sprawling city development any day. And the art scene up here is amazing. This is where I always go to fill up my inspiration tank when it gets a little low. Now I think I am not exaggerating if I said I went to one of my favorite rummage sales of my entire life this weekend. It was a little farmhouse and barn with an over sized breezeway and I seriously spent a good 20- minutes going through all of their treasures... which is a big deal for me. Usually my mother and I can get through a sale in less than a few minutes because the trick is to get in and out as fast as possible so that you can stay ahead of the pack and get to the next one. Well this was not going to happen. I found tons of men's trousers (from the 70s) for 25 cents each and then a dozen neck ties from the same time frame for a dime a piece. My plan is to do something amazing with them and buttons--- purses perhaps (ETSY here I come... after I learn how to sew). I sent my mother back to my car to be in the air with the girls and I felt a little bad for how long I was gone... but like a true addict it didn't matter to me at the time- I was in the zone. After I crawled into the back of a side closet I found something I have been looking for for years: A clear bubble umbrella. You know the ones from the 60s that are tall and you can see right through them. Well I fell in love with the concept in some fashion photography last spring and then Target was selling them for 17.00 but I just couldn't justify spending that much on an umbrella... its the same price as a whole box of diapers people :) But low and behold what do I find in this deceased total strangers closet amidst the polyester and old fur coat??? My beloved clear umbrella. Halleluiah! And for get this: 25cents... I am certain there really is a heaven, and this is my sneak peak at it- hahaha
After hitting the best (emotionally fulling) sales so far this year (for me, my mother would disagree... she thinks what I buy sometimes is silly) we decided to head to Sturgeon bay and hit the shops... which was hard to do in a way because we were still in Yard Sale pricing frame of mind so there was a little more sticker shock than there would normally be (although Sturgeon Bay's prices are always a bit inflated). Bella had a total breakdown when we did not buy her some ice cream but what that child really needed was a nap. I have the hardest time reprimanding her because she looks and acts just like me--- like JUST like me. She is so darn cute and full of energy I just think I may burst from all the love I have for her. And it is at this exact moment that I am reminded of the times she stuffs a whole roll of toilet paper into the bowl or when she makes mud pies in her sisters hair... and then my smile dwindles, my hot air balloon springs a little leak and I am brought back down to reality... that little stinker.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday morning we started out by hitting the pool at the YMCA which my girls totally loved. Kyra was with her mom this weekend so it was just the little girls, myself, my parents and my cousins. Nikki did not bring her suit along so she hung out on the treadmill to get a few miles under her belt and the rest of us headed for the sweet relief of the pool... it was warm but refreshing still the same- thank goodness. Little Via and Bella are both totally in love with going down the big twistie slide at the Y. Lucky for me I had a relative army to help me get them up and down roughly a million times. Summer in Wisconsin means construction so after we got cleaned up and on the road I escorted my cousins to the highway so they didn't get lost and we headed home for nappy time --- babies and their momma too! In the evening we went to a BBQ at Tim's parents where we got to spend some time with family and friends of the family which is refreshing as well :)


No comments:
Post a Comment