Sunday, August 19, 2012

Family Reunion

We headed over to the farm quick this weekend for a family reunion with my parents and Mary and Carlos. I figure it may be the last time we get over there until Christmas time because my work schedule is so crazy during the cooler months when people's respiratory systems are on the fritz. Speaking of breathing!!! We had to stop on the side of the road on the way over because there was an emergency in process. Because I am considered a first responder with emergency medical training I am obligated to stop at all accidents or emergencies until the appropriate help arrives... its the stuff I dream about and was now actually happening. Turns out it was a drunk woman that got beat up by her boyfriend and had stumbled out onto the highway for help. Alot of people in the health field have a weird sense of humor and get excited when bad things happen- this was one of those times- I was so full of adrenaline I couldn't even tell you how long I was out there on the side of the road (28 minutes my mother would later tell me) it felt like 5 at most... finally the ambulance got there and she was loaded up and taken to the closest hospital to address her broken ribs and bashed in face... it reminds me that every choice has a consequence (sometimes really really bad). Tim was unable to make the trip over because he had to work late on Friday and frankly- I love him but we didn't want to wait for him- ha! On the way over we had to stop at the Ripon Good Cookie factory to bring over some sweet treats for the family. We are so lucky to have such a generous and caring group of people to call our own.
The adventure began on Saturday morning when we headed over by Bruce and Barb's place to attend an Amish breakfast (Jackie I know you are jealous) on an actual Amish property eating their homemade foods. It held in a large kind of shotgun living room with three tables in a row and benches across the back and chairs on the other side. The tables were already set with plates, silverware, milk (not my favorite), orange juice and water. Then on the various plates were scrambled eggs with ham, pancakes, sausage, doughnuts and sweet rolls--- it was so good and now I am wondering why I hated breakfast as a kid- this stuff is awesome! The little girls plowed through their food and were a little antsy so we ducked out quick and were playing in the front lawn when Katie mentioned she had to go "potty". Uh-Oh... hows this going to work with no indoor plumbing? I guided her to the outhouse and the moment we walked in she was shaking her head "no." This was not going to happen. She told me "Mommy- there is a whole in that bench." "Yes that's where you go potty." "In that hole?" "Yes honey." "Not this little girl... I'm going to hold it." "No sweetie you should go now when you have the urge." "Nope. I will fall in and get covered in poop and be lost forever."  I don't think she will be using an outhouse or a portapotty anytime soon. Its not that she is afraid of poop though I found later when we were visiting my Aunt and Uncle's donkeys... she loves them- poop and all.
Saturday afternoon was the family reunion which was a nice low key kind of time. There were a lot of people I should have known there but unfortunately I am bad with the names of people I see daily let alone a decade at a time. So I kept a loving eye on my girls and let them run free. It was nice because we were in a relatively small and controlled environment which they don't have all too often outside of at home or at a grandparent's. So they loved the freedom and  I loved being able to give that to them.
The girls spent most of their day in the sandbox and on the jungle gym. Katie of course made friends with one of her distant older cousins and decided they were going to be buddies for the day. Theresa was not able to make it with the boys but I got to see my cousins Krissy, Nikki (who is expecting a baby boy around Christmas-ish) and then my cousin Tracie. It was nice to visit with the family especially those I haven't seen since I was a wee little one. The was an entire room of food (bring a dish to pass) and it was hard to decide what to try. So the girls and I tried a little bit of everything and this would include the entire table of deserts- they were in heaven. Lunch was followed by a white elephant auction that raised money for the next family reunion to cover the various expenses and what not. It was a blast! My mother was a riot as usual and between them, my aunt Mary and Carlos they overpaid for everything. I even got in a bidding war with Krissy but I had to let her win (especially seeing she is the best baker in the entire world- for reals). My favorite part though was towards the end when things were winding down, we had a little concert. Not just any concert, an accordion trio... I may have cried a happy tear or two.
Sunday was a relaxed sort of day. We went over to Bruce and Barbs to cut veggies for canning. We had tried this last year with Kyra and had to show Mary and Carlos what it was all about. They could appreciate all the work that went into and everyone rolled up their sleeves to help. Except the children- Katie was still way too excited about seeing the donkeys so we ended up going down to visit them again. While we were down there Theresa stopped into her garage (that she was setting up for a rummage sale) so I had to stick my head in and take a peak. I found a few treasures and tried to find room in the trunk for them. Its funny how tidy and organized a true hoarder can be. I think I may be one of those high functioning hoarders... I just always want to be prepared... and usually am.
We had visited Theresa and her new home that was owned by Andrew (her husband's) uncle before he passed away. The boys seem to really like have all the space to run around and to be honest I was a little jealous because it is a beautiful home with vaulted ceilings and a massive living room, kitchen and basement. There is also a barn and various outbuildings on the property which started me daydreaming about what new project I would start to fill them up--- hahaha.
It was interesting to watch the girls checking out the Amish children at the breakfast on Saturday morning. You could tell that both sets of children were leery to engage the other, but they were equally curious. I was surprised that Katie didn't just walk over and pick out who was going to be her friend. They were separated by a dirt road and that's how it stayed- neither group ever crossed over which at the time I was okay with because it was hard enough just to keep an eye on them let alone pick them out of a group of kids (although looking back it probably wouldn't be too hard). But what really bothers me is that Bella wouldn't go say hi because these kids were different. Little Via followed the lead of her older sister too so she wouldn't go over either. I am sure by now you can tell that this is bothering me... I hope I am not teaching my children to be intolerant of others that may be different than them--- I always thought I was doing the opposite.

No comments: