Saturday, April 13, 2013

MadTown here she comes...


Kaitlynn Bella
Kaitlynn Bella that is. I have realized that you cannot love your kids enough. This was more than evident when Katie and I took an overnight trip to Madison with both of my parents. My dad retired in January but still does some consulting work on the side. This was one of those instances as he is still tied to the University in Madison. Bucky Badger runs through our veins in this family and we wouldn't have it any other way.  Katie was super stoked to find out that we were headed down especially since we stayed in a "water park" hotel. Our first stop was the children's museum (my parents have a membership to all the museums in Wisconsin which is totally convenient) and it totally blew my mind. This was Katie's 2nd or 3rd time so she knew how to navigate the building. Thank goodness because it was overwhelming with all the visual stimulation and screeching children. There were lots of science opportunities along with art projects and a giant tree house. On the roof there was an open garden and a little building that houses baby chicks and other petite animals. Bella honed in immediately on the two college girls that were baking cookies and even talked them into letting her mix a whole new batch. There was a photographer walking around the building taking pictures for the new Madison museum flyer and wouldn't you know Miss Bella Bean snuck her way right in there... that's my girl. There were so many learning opportunities it was almost overwhelming but Katie had a blast. Her favorite area was where you created a pizza or pie made out o felt pieces. There was even an over where you turned a crank and it rolled the food through and "cooked" it, but don't forget the hot pads because it was "piping hot"... she is so cute. There was a total hippie vibe (in a good way) and I was trying to soak up all the inspiration. I even followed this fabulously dressed girl so I could take a pictures of her and totally copy her look... what a creeper huh?

After the museum we stopped at Bascom Hall and enjoyed a delicious ice cream treat. When I was a kid I remember going there and getting a mint chocolate chip cone and sitting on the front steps in the sunshine. Since then they have remodeled the entrance and lil shop as well as the options for cones... I couldn't concentrate because there were so many options and combinations ( I could have spent all day considering the possibilities) however Kaitlynn knew exactly what she wanted: A strawberry swirl on a sugar cone... Bravo girlfriend.
The pool at the hotel was amazing! We had to stop by target and pick up a little floatie device because of how busy it was and to help keep and eye on her (she totally loved it and called it her "Princess pack." Sidenote: she calls me the queen, not because I am her mother, but rather because I am bigger than her -- watch out for this one y'all). We spent the whole night and the entire next morning playing in the water and sliding down the big red slide. She eventually got the courage to try it herself and did it roughly a million times. I think she could have stayed all day but unfortunately check out snuck up on us and we had to bounce on out of there.
Before leaving town though we stopped for a bite to eat at The Cracker Barrel (my favorite) and filled our tummies for the ride home... which I don't remember because I was in a food coma and napped the whole way home (as did Kaite and my mother)... have I mentioned we heart Madison  :)

No comments: