Saturday, July 27, 2013

6 Years and Counting


Well we are officially 6 years into married life and although it has not always been wedded bliss, I am still happy in the choice I made to marry Tim. Now don’t get me wrong, there have been times (many infact) where I shook my fist to the sky’s questioning why people are stupid enough to get married… its work. But I guess everything good in life is indeed work and when you quit nurturing a relationship it can’t grow. And that’s what we did. With the girls growing up and various work and school obligations, Tim and I grew distant… not realizing that duh??? We needed time together too (and not always with babies). Why not have a date night here and there you ask. Honestly date nights can be a bit tricky because we already impose on our families to watch the girls during the week… so to ask them to watch them on the weekend feels like we are over-using their generosity. However, once in a while Tim’s aunt Karla will offer to watch the girls on a Saturday night and then watch out- its game on. The irony of date night is that we usually don’t know what to do with our “stolen” free time. Movie? Dinner? Bowling? Walk by the bay? Its funny that when it comes down to an agreed upon activity we are at a loss… which I consider a sign that we need to communicate more--- I am thinking spreadsheets or pie charts of interests and see where they overlap (no I would NEVER do this--- just a silly joke my friends). Well Karla was indeed generous enough to offer some free childcare for us on this particular Saturday so that Tim and I could go out and celebrate our anniversary (on the actual date mind you) which was super de duper awesome. Again, we struggled a bit with what activity to share overwhelmed with possibilities I suppose. WE decided on dinner and fishing. Yes- fishing- WELL outside my comfort zone but I am totally into it- crazy right? I know! So we went to Pizza Ranch for supper (not classy living but it was something we were both craving so why not feed the urge) and then headed to buy our worms and set up our spot. When I was reaching into my purse to grab the money for night crawlers I noticed I couldn’t find it- anywhere… no!!! Turns out I left it across town at the buffet. Awesome. Well there goes that purse I thought. Now having flooding thoughts of what credit cards I would have to cancel and all the different business cards I would loose not to mention the cash… argh. However, it seems that the stars aligned just for me and I was spared- this time. I guess what better place to leave your purse behind than a publicly sponsored Christian pizza buffet… go me! So after walking out with my tail between my legs a smile on my face, we finally got out to the river and threw the bobbers in… and it started to rain. Really? Baloney. Its not like it was super hot and the rain felt good. No it was overcast, chilly and now we were damp. And after an hour still no fish. It sucked, but we were both happy because we were together. If nothing else… we had some great discussions (debate at times of course) and realized that although it may not always seem like it, we are still madly in love with each other and going strong. Thank God.

No comments: