Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Prepping for the Big Day

The countdown to Halloween has started and those of us in the Bronander house are super excited. It has always been a big deal for me. Even when I was a kid I would start getting ready for the big day as soon as possible. My parents made me wait until after October 1st to start decorating and that has stuck with me into adulthood.  When I married Tim I was so excited that my traditions continued with the two of us and Kyra for the longest time. Once the girls were born I thought the enthusiasm was going to die down a bit, but just the opposite happened! It got totally magnified!!! Like concentrated awesome. I am finding my days are a bit busier this year though so we shall see just how festive Halloween 2013 turns out to be.

The girls really have no fear when it comes to all the spooky holiday décor. It used to make Kyra crazy when she was a babe because she was excited by it but it terrified her (still does shhhh). These girls really are not scared by anything… even the super gory faces. Which I am sure is in part because they have been exposed in large does since birth (this makes me sound crazy when I put it into words lol). But honestly, Halloween is no different for me than a Christmas enthusiast. I just plain ‘ol love it.

Every year we set up a pretty elaborate cemetery in the front yard with various gravestones and severed heads (scary masks) on wooden stakes. Not to mention the giant mummy and deformed witch person surrounded by a million pumpkins and ghosts throughout the property. Last year we dealt with some crazy winds in October and found that a few of our headstones were breaking (the Styrofoam kind). The looked super cool but were not very durable. So we planned to make our own more stable stones out of wood and write spooky and ironic sayings on them. Kyra didn’t like my jokes so I only got to paint a few but there is always next year. I was happy to see her participate in a family endeavor and Timmy was thrilled to use the new power tool we bought especially for the project. I never would have pegged him for a “tool-man” but I guess there is always room for change in us all. I am certainly not complaining by any means… exactly the opposite--- what else can he make for me??? Hmmm…
 Bella donned one of many Halloween costumes that her Nana bought her in the hardware store when we bought the supplies for our cemetery. Awesome kid number two? Check!

No comments: