Saturday, May 31, 2014

Here Comes The Bride

This weekend we made the trip over to Sparta to visit with the family and to attend a cousin’s wedding. Well not my first cousin but the daughter of one of my dad’s cousins which makes her like his second cousin and my third or something like that. We don’t really keep track in this family so cousins are cousins. Which works out well because frankly it can get a little confusing. As it is prime rummage season mom and I were a little disappointed that we were going to miss the Friday and Saturday morning sales but dad was good enough to let us leave at noon so we were able to still go for a bit. I asked Tim to take vacation this time because honestly he hasn’t been over to visit for a few years. Time goes so fast! He was able to get off so we were set. We hit a few sales in the morning which were AMAZING! Gathered our suitcases and were on the road for noon (which is impressive because mom and I are always late for stuff). It was a great trip across the state. We switched cars frequently and with the two girls made potty stops. A lot. There were a few rummage sales I couldn’t pass up and Tim was good about stopping even though I know he hates them. But he put up with my craziness and let me go anyway. Stopping at the cheese shop helped appease him as well. Who doesn’t love cheese??? About an hour away from Grandma’s we went over a set of train tracks and BOOM! The back end of my car sounded like it was going to fall off. I had JUST brought it into the shop to have my shocks done so of course I was fearing the worst. And we were three hours from home. Awesome. So we limped ourselves to the next gas station to take a peek. The summer weather had finally shown up so Timmy got all sweaty and dirty but he got the wheel off and called the dealership who told us that it was okay to drive but would probably be a bit noisy. That’s an understatement. It was indeed noisy. Very. Like bombs going off. I figured it was my penance for some horrible thing I had done and we dealt with it. Alllll weekend. Oh well. (In the end it was the piece that holds the shock in place to the car and it was vibrating but still functioning- scary but still safe). Friday night we caught a bite to eat at my favorite restaurant over there for some fish- delish!!! The girls love to go to the Village Inn because the trains go right past the building and shake it. We always race outside to catch a glimpse as soon as we hear it coming.  Our bellies were full and happy after supper so we headed back to Grandmas to visit and enjoy the warm weather and amazing scenery. Living in the country can have its drawbacks for sure however right that second… there was absolutely no way of convincing me. Downright gorgeous. The girls had fun being able to run around and explore Grandma’s property. Especially running up and down the hill in the front yard. They were pretending to sled (like sledding in the snow) and then realized that number one it didn’t work so well, and number two mommy was freaking out about grass stains… so that lasted for all of two seconds. I appreciated their enthusiasm though. The sleeping arrangements were interesting too. Usually the girls and I sleep in the bed downstairs in the extra basement bedroom but now with Timmy along (which I am not used to) I realized that those arrangements were not going to work. Not to mention that we needed to find room for Kyra too so we got creative. Miss Kyra Jean slept upstairs by Grammie. Dad took a bed. Grandma took a bed. AJ and Anna took a bed. And Timmy, Via, Katie and I took the basement where we put the mattress on the floor in the family room and lined up couch cushions next to it for the little ones. It was a little Bronander nest and it worked out swell. Saturday morning we got up early and I took Tim to see the little Amish bang and dent store I love so much. He was amazed at how much inventory they had and at such great prices. That’s when I informed him that the expiration dates on most items were at or reaching their due. That made a big difference. I shouldn’t have even said anything hahaha. Oh well. Saturday afternoon was the wedding so we got back to Grandmas and had a bite to eat before we headed out the park for the impending nuptials. (Side note: lunch was ham spread and Lebanon baloney sandwiches = pure heaven). The drive was an hour of sheer torture mainly because of the shocks bumping in the back (country roads are not very flat) but we made it to the wedding just fine. The girls looked adorable and Kyra was absolutely gorgeous with her hair pulled back (my handy work. Yep I will take credit for that). We were warm but feeling quite peppy and optimistic until we got closer and I realized that the “theme” color for the wedding was teal. The girls dresses were teal. Tim’s tie was teal. Ohhhhh Crap. (Shaking my head) Can’t change it now so we just went with the flow. I don’t think anyone even noticed and if they did they certainly didn’t make it known. Now I have to say the ceremony was cute but I have become a cynic in my “old age” because I think weddings are a joke. Don’t be offended. Marriage is not bad and celebrating it is wonderful but to spend all that time and money on just one day seems ridiculous to me. I guess that’s what comes with growing up… realizing you can only spend it once. Either that or I have become a cheap ass. Probably both. After the vows (which were quick thank goodness) we were all super overheated. I took a few snapshots of the girls in their dresses (clean dresses mind you) and then decided hey! Why not take a dip in the water. It was so close and seemed so refreshing!!! SO we did. Luckily I had little shorts under the girls dresses (always prepared Trina up in here) and so they slipped of their theme appropriate garb and took a soak. The rules were simple: not past your belly button and don’t get your hair wet. They did awesome. Even Kyra joined into the fun which enticed AJ and Anna and even little Remmy. What a great time we had. The reception was later that evening and although the food was less than yummy we were starving so it didn’t matter. The girls got to dance with their cousins and I got to visit with mine. And honestly… there was cake. Who needs more than that??? We were all very happy. Drama at times but amazing memories no matter what the issue.

No comments: