Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cave of the mounds

This morning we got, had a little breakfast at the hotel and were on our way to Cave of the Mounds. It was only about a fifteen minute drive from where we were staying so luckily there was not too much anticipation for Kyra. We got there and it was HOT- I mean HOT. We parked under a shaded area and started the walk down to the visitor center and by the time we got there I was out of breath. Luckily the building was air conditioned so I cooled off quickly. Tim bought our tickets (50 bucks by the way) and we got in line to go down into the caves. There was a short educational film while we waited which was nice because it gave a little history of how the caves came about- which my two little history buffs thoroughly enjoyed. After the movie we were ushered as a group through a doorway and into the cave. It was amazing to feel the difference in temperature in just a few steps. They say that the caves are 50 degrees no matter what time of year it is. Kyra was a little chilly but I was feeling pretty great- its been a hot summer for me. We twisted and turned through the little openings and for a second I was worried that Kyra would be afraid of the dark, but she did great. I was the one that kept looking over my shoulder for little cave creatures (darn scary movies- Jackie you know what I am talking about). But I got over it- especially when the guide started telling us about cave bacon- excuse me? Yes- cave bacon. I guess that is what the lamen term for little ribbon rock formations in the ceiling of the caves. All I know is that I came out of the place craving a bacon cheese burger. Kyra and Tim had fun identifying the different formations- I only knew stalactites and stalagmites- but felt pretty smart anyway. After the tour (about and hour) we stopped at the gift shop and picked up a little excavating kit for Kyra. She loves to dig and discover thing is in the dirt- like little treasures. I would not be surprised if she ended up being an archaeologist or something along those lines. Anyways, she got her fossils and her gemstones all identified and tucked away safe in their little baggies before we got back on the road to head home. On the way we stopped in Madison for a bite to eat at no other than the best place on earth- the Cracker Barrel!!! I was getting really hungry and I have to say that Tim and Kyra were awesome because there were a few detours that "Girdy" did not tell us about so yet again we were lost in Madison- and I was probably not the nicest person to around. But Timmy got us there unscathed and I got to have my chicken and dumplings which made me a very happy lady. Kyra and I did a quick tour of the gift shop, our favorite and Halloween stuff was out already- yipee! But ended up saving our money for the next big adventure. We had a great little talk on the way home and I have to say that although we are still forming our bonds as a family- that little girl is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. All in all it was a much needed vacation before the start of school and I am glad that we could fit it in :)

No comments: