Since Tim has been home our liquid assets have dwindled to practically nothing. that's not to say we cant pay our bills or anything but we don't have that extra spending money to do the things we want willy nilly anymore. This was compounded by the fact that a few weeks back we looked at purchasing a home, got all the papers together and I don't want to say the lady laughed in our faces (she was nice) but she gingerly danced around the fact that we have no savings therefore no way to buy a house. I guess I didn't realize what really went into purchasing a home. So now we know how we need to save so we just need to land Timmy a job and utilize all the resources we have.
One of these resources is my mother's never ending need to purge in her retirement. Don't get me wrong, I totally think she needs to do it but unfortunately that means I have to go out to her house a few times a week and help her clean the various closet or cabinet trying to persuade her enough to let go without pushing her over the edge... its a touchy area. However, the nice part about helping her get rid of stuff is that she gives it all to me--- to sell. So on Facebook there are groups you can join to sell things locally in your area. I belong to a few of these groups and have had great luck selling the various items we have accumulated and no longer need. It is a bit tedious but in the end its totally worth it. I try not to list too many items under a dollar because then to try and coordinate pick ups for a dollar its not really worth it.
The weather here has fluctuated quite a bit in the last few months. We have been anywhere from negative 10 to over 40 within a few days. On one of those super cold days I was out making deliveries to my buyers (I find that they buy more that way and frankly I just want to be rid of stuff)and when I was walking back to my car I noticed that the person I dropped off to couldn't get their car started. This is when I remembered those black and red cables I threw on the grage shelves last June and thought to myself... "OH yah, that's what those are for." Luckily the guy had a set of cables so all he really needed to do was borrow "the black mamba's" battery for a bit. I was freezing but had fun making funny faces at his 2 year old daughter through the living room window and soon enough--- their car was running. Good Samaritan Deed of the day completed-- whoo hoo!
I got on a tangent there for a bit but what I was trying to say is that I am discovering different ways to make money these days. I attempted to donate plasma but found out that I am not a good candidate... my veins are too small. That may be in part due to the fact that I drink little to no water--- which I am working on. It just tastes like nothing. Water is boring and I love my diet coke... argh-- change sucks. At any rate I am looking forward to the spring when the girls and I can get outside and at least stretch our legs a bit. I have spent the winter and beginning of my spring doing this "Sift and Thrift" for my parents and for the most part is has benefited us all. Most recently I got them a table and chairs (yes I buy stuff too) for their dining room and I think it looks great. My dad is a little reserved on the subject but he is totally warming up to the idea. If nothing else I can always sell them again online ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment