Its
that time of year for our annual Pico De Gallo marathon. Every August/
September Timmy and I sit down and make a bucket (and I mean literally
bucket) of Pico to share with all of our family. This year though we may
have gotten a bit overzealous with the veggies and literally had to use
a Rubbermaid storage bin to mix it all in. But honestly it worked out
great so I think we will be using it from now on. Not to mention that
everything I put in that bin for the next few weeks is going to smell
awesome! We are lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where people will
actually put vegetables out to the curb for sale, so all you have to do
is swing by and pay on good faith. It is one of the areas I am most
proud of myself. Not to toot my own horn—but I am pretty honest when it
comes to these stands. I just can’t see ripping some poor grandma off
for 50 cents. This is not to say that if they are asking ridiculous
prices I won’t maximize my choices but that’s neither here nor there.
Anyhoo- there were a few ingredients that we were not able to get from
the neighbors so the girls and I hit the local farmer’s market. Argh… it
always seems so appealing and awesome until I get there and have to try
and manage through the crowd with two excitable girls who want to touch
everything and meet every single overdressed and adorable puppy. Which
by the way said pups are usually accompanied by an uptight owner who
doesn’t like children- hence the pampered pup. So after trying to keep
my girls on their “leash” I finally got through the super cramped
parking lot and gathered all the things I still needed for our recipe.
There was also a super cute apple orchard vendor that gave us all free
apples to snack on during our stay. Um yum! (the apples and the 20
something hot body. Now I get why my mother was such a creeper when I
was young hahaha). This year we decided to make refrigerator pickles in
addition to the Pico (some people call them freezer pickles. Tomato/ tomato… although
this example doesn’t really work unless you are saying it out loud
whoops!). My girlfriend at work brought some in to try that were not
only sweet little pickles but they were dill-y at the same time. Can you
say heaven!?! She assured me that even I could make them and so we are
going to give it a go. The art about making all the fresh yummies is the
ginormous amount of preparation. We are talking hours here people.
Argh- is it worth it? Probably not. The whole instant gratification
thing is definitely not happening right now. But my family bonded… and I
think that may be a million times more important that me feeling
immediate satiation. The girls both wanted to help cut the veggies which
I was okay with as long as Timmy was there to watch them. I had no
interest in witnessing them cutting off a finger so I worked on washing
pickles while they took their little knives and mangled the tomatoes.
Those are the times you never forget. I love my life.
PS- my pickles turned out awesome!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment