Monday, September 30, 2013

Puddle Jumpers

 I have always loved the fall weather in Wisconsin especially when it gets just a bit cooler and you can wear long sleeves or in our case jackets. It hardly rained at all this summer and when it did there were torrential downpours. You would think that Spring would have brought some pretty wet weather too but no such luck. This year was super weird. However I must say that the past few days have totally made up for the dry summer cause man have we gotten dumped on. So much so that we needed to bust out the umbrellas and rain coats- which the girls were totally thrilled about. Especially Katie! She loved getting donned in her raingear and go play in the puddles while we waited for the school bus. One morning stands out in particular because that’s when she found her little buddy “midget.” Trust me- I didn’t pick the name… I try to be a little more sensitive that that and frankly- based on the shape of a worm I would have picked something totally different… like “Slim,” “George” or “MacGyver” but I will give her credit for even thinking of a name for her little guy. She wanted to take him to school with her to show her friends and assured me that he would be okay in her pocket. You would have thought I told her that there was no Christmas this year. She was beyond distraught. SO what is a parent to do? Do I let her take a worm to school and chance getting a phone call from her teacher “Katie is sure that you said it was okay.” Ya- awesome parenting Trina. Or do I take the strong-arm road and just tell her no. That sounds horrible. Especially when she is actually a reasonable child if you take the two seconds to explain “why.” I guess the combination of Tim’s brains and my tenacity will prove to be a challenge- for the REST OF MY LIFE. Case in point: Miss Olivia couldn’t wait to get her rain boots on. I have probably a bajillion pairs in all different sizes so we are always prepared for whatever mother nature throws at us. So she suited up and we headed out to run some errands. I turned my back for literally two seconds and there she was- jumping in the parking lot puddles soaked from head to toe. I wanted to scream at her but all I could do was laugh at how freeking adorable and happy she was. Who am I to wreck her childhood memories so early in life hahaha.

No comments: