Thursday, September 26, 2013

Purging the pad

I waffled over the entire supper as to whether I should have another rummage sale this fall. Not only are they a lot of work but they tend to be incredibly inconvenient to life as that it’s a full weekend commitment. And when its nice weather at the end of the summer, the last thing you want to do is miss enjoying those last perfect days. I usually try to have one in the spring and in the fall and sell clothing to fit the season. I literally did not want to store all those sweaters for another year and the whether was supposed to be in the 70s… it was a no brainer. And I am so glad that I did because we hit this baby out of the park. It is fun to have a rummage sale because I always feel like I am hosting a party. Its just a little ass backwards because instead of bringing something for the host, people are taking my crap away and leaving behind their money--- seems pretty awesome to me! This year Bella was at school in the morning which made running the sale a bit easier with only Via for the most part. Although in the afternoons it got a little more precarious. Timmy works from 10-7 or 1-10 so he was able to help intermittently but I was pretty much on my own. Which I knew ahead of time, and was still okay with it. My mom was a peach and watched the girls on Friday afternoon though so that was great. Thursday is definitely my best day for sales. You would probably think Saturday is the biggest sale day but nope- Thursday is the humdinger. In years past I have made more money in total but I think it’s because I have been selling items online throughout the year. I typically reserve my rummage sales for the things that are not worth my time and effort to list on Facebook Rummage groups. IE: a 50 cents book. Now granted you are probably saying why would you even go through the effort to sell something for only fifty cents. And honestly… the answer is bulk equals profit. More people stop at a sale that looks like there are a ton of items and you always want people walking away with bags. It gets the blood pumping in the people who are considering stopping. There is a total science to rummage sales I swear. I love them! (obviously) Even though I did not have any major treasures to sell we still sold over 500.00 and the group (including Tim’s parents, brother, aunt, my brother and sister in law and parents) cleared almost 1,000 smackers. That’s nothing to sneeze at huh? Viva La Rummage!!!

No comments: