Kyra had her school musical this past weekend. She has been
practicing for months and frankly I am surprised the girl hasn't
developed an ulcer from all the worrying she does. I suppose its easy
for me to say as it literally had nothing to do with me but I am trying
to be better at active listening. I can only handle so much of her
complaining, trying to give her viable solutions to fix the problem and
then realizing that all she wants to do is talk about it. Vocalizing her
problems must be the way she digests and deals with issues; I on the
other hand prefer to take action and not necessarily talk things to
death. Mmmm? To each their own I guess. For example: Kyra has decided
that she doesn't wasn't to participate in show choir this year. Which is
fine. I get it. She doesn't like that all the popular girls get the
solos and she has to be in the back. Well instead of taking an
initiative and talking to her director about her concerns she just sits
on it and stews never getting answers. Number one (I love her) but she
is not a strong singer. She just isn't. SO thats why she does not have a
solo assigned to her. I am sure had she mentioned an interest, the
director would try to accommodate that. But she won't. So there she
sits. Number two, she is the tallest girl in the group- so of course she
will be in the back. Its not a personal thing, just logistics. But she
doesn't acknowledged or understand that concept either. So she is going
to quit. I informed her that there was a good chance she wouldn't make
any performance group in high school if she dropped out of her middle
school ensemble, but she just shook her head and walked away. I guess
this is one of those times that kids need to learn from experience and
not just take a parent's word for it. I just want whats best for her and
I feel like sometimes it would just be so darn easy to help her fix
things. But she wont let me. Ahhhhhh the teenage suffering continues for
a few more years I suppose.
Anyhoo- As this was her last musical in middle school Kyra was
stoked to try out. They planned to put on a production of The Little
Mermaid and Kyra had her heart set on trying out for Ariel (the main
character). Even at my gentlest prodding she refused to try out for a
less prominent roll (like Sebastian who still had a solo) and in the end
she was cast as a chorus fish- a jelly fish actually. I know it was
disappointing for her but thats how things sometimes work in life. They
just do. But in the end she was a super cute jellyfish (even though it
took me half the show to even identify where she was). I was surprised
though that she never even told us what her character was. Or when the
show was... even how to get tickets. It seems more and more that Timmy
and I are left in the dark on things with her. Unless she needs
something... then we are best friends (for two seconds). We need to work
on this because I don't want to continue to resent her and always
question her intentions. Because in the end all it will do is alienate
her and make us all miserable.

No comments:
Post a Comment