Saturday, November 30, 2013
Paint It Black
Typically I spend Thursday evening taking a peek at the ads for Black
Friday shopping and watching Home Alone (love it!). Thanksgiving is a
holiday that Kyra comes to our home after 8 or so and we keep her
overnight. She spends the day at her mother's and gets to see her
extended family there. We have come to the agreement that she stays by
her mom for Thanksgiving and comes by us for Easter--- it works :) The
other holidays we play more by ear and see where we end up. This year
Thanksgiving was a little more complicated because as I was looking at
the various flyers I noticed many of the stores open at 8pm. On
Thursday!!! What the hell??? SO I had to talk Jade into letting me pick
Kyra up at 7pm so that we could get to the first store and in the line before 8.
There weren't many places I wanted to go this year (frankly there was
very little I was interested in) but Miss Kyra and I managed to find
ourselves a few deals. The first of these was at Kohls where were both
picked up a pain of "fashion boots" (that's what Katie calls them) and
she found some jeans and I found some leggings for Kate's Christmas
dress. Saved 220.00 Spent 40.00 Awesome! We popped into Office Max to
find Timmy a new computer chair (as he is working from home now) and I
thought I had found the perfect one. That was until I realized that the
giant sign said "save 99.99" not "SALE 99.99." Darnit! I may have just
bought it anyway but it was two hundred and fifty bucks-- forget that!
So after a short disappointment we stopped at the gas station and bought
a lottery ticket whilst picking up a few coffees. It was game on at
this point because Kyra somehow talked me into going to the Bay Park
mall on the other side of town during the height of the madness. I
always swore I would never cross the bridge on Black Friday. I like to experience the frenzied but slower pace of the east side. "But MOM!!!
There are 10.00 T-shirts at Hot Topic!!!" How much is my sanity worth? I
just cant say no to the adorable little face! I rationalized it as
bonding time (which it was) and we hit the streets- literally. There
were absolutely no parking spots and the mall (I know!!!) so we parked
across the street at Hobby Lobby and hiked in. She was afraid to J-walk
but peer pressure took care of that. We got into the store and she was
just so darn happy. Which made me happy. SO happy in fact that I may have
impulse bought 80.00 worth of T-shirts. Its only money :) Kyra got
some of her beloved Dr.Who and Nightmare Before Christmas shirts and I
collected a few more bands to my collection. I even found one for Timmy.
All in all it was a successful expedition. That was until I tried to go
to sleep and realized I had consumed a metric ton of coffee and that
wasn't going to happen any time so. So I started to read a book... that
did the trick. I totally passed out. So hard in fact that I failed to get
up at 545 so I could get to Home Depot for 6am to get my mother her
poinsettias for a dollar (limit 12 per person). On no!!! Luckily I got a
call at 8am and it was Karla asking where we were as we were expected
at a hearty mid-shopping breakfast (another Thanksgiving tradition) at
8. We flew out of the that house (myself, Kyra and Via) and quick
stopped at Home Depot. I knew I was pressing my luck and the chances
there were still any plants left (let alone decent ones) was slim to
none. Well good thing I bought a lottery ticket because guess who got
her 12 poinsettias??? This girl. Thank God though... my mother would
have killed me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment