Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Time!!!

Christmas around our place has become a very fluid experience. Since I started working at the hospital (almost 8 years now which is crazy to think about) I have not been able to participate in the Herrman/Soto Christmas trips as I have to work either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day with no exception. I will always treasure the adventures we shared throughout my childhood and as a young adult and I am so grateful that I got to participate. Since the girls were born having Christmas in town has been a little more exciting because we get to see the various sides of the family and its so cool to watch Katie and Via take in all the magic of Christmas. Tim is not a huge Christmas person (and frankly neither and I) but he will participate as needed. This year we spent Christmas Eve with my parents out at their place. AJ and Anna went to Milton, Wi to visit with her family and Tim’s parents had a Santa and Mrs. Clause gig. So the group of us went to mass out at Holy Cross. The church was packed and warm. I felt bad for Timmy because he is no little guy and there was really no place (dry at least) to put our jackets so I know he was sweating like crazy. After what seemed like an eternity the service was over and I took the girls up to the front of the church to see the baby Jesus and shoot a few pictures in the meantime (like always lol). I have to admit that although I do not practice Catholicism like I have in the past, I am still fascinated with the whole concept. I have had my faith tested over the last dozen years more than a few times and what I have come to realize is that I want to put good things into the world. I feel that if I can be a strong and kind person that I can teach my girls to do the same. Sometimes during the homily (when the priest talks to the congregation and relates the scripture to everyday life) I like to look around the room and contemplate about what people are thinking about. What secrets do these people have? What burdens their minds? It’s pretty trippy… but I love it. Church for me is a sanctuary of healing not because that’s where Jesus is… but that’s where my mind can clear itself and my heart becomes less heavy. Speaking of heavy!!!
Dad made the most fabulous Christmas Eve dinner (one of my absolute favorites actually) Beef Stroganoff… holy hell is it good. I tried really hard to eat a salad first but honestly… I carbed up like crazy. Between all the beef I snuck before the meal, the noodles and no less than three biscuits I ate… a bear could have hibernated. And I was happy. So freekin happy. After the meal we all found a spot in the entry way around the Christmas tree to open a few gifts. I am so grateful for my parents and their continued generosity in both watching the girls when we need them too and frankly just asking to spend time with them. They never imply that they are a burden and for that I am incredibly thankful. I try every year not to have the girls flooded with gifts because I want them to really appreciate what they are given. When Kyra was a little girl she would get so many presents that she couldn’t even tell you what she got. To me that’s awful. I want my kids to experience the feelings that receiving a gift can be like. Not just ripping and snorting through wrapping paper to get to the next toy. That makes me crazy. It’s just not the way I want to live. So guess what… I won’t. Now of course there is always the exception of Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles but frankly… time together is more important than stuff (to me lol). Christmas Day morning we invited the whole clan over for breakfast (Timmy made some fabulous omelets) and watch the girls open their gifts. It was great because we all sat around, visited and kept it super chill and casual. There was laughter throughout the house and it made me happy. I totally treasure those moments. The girls had asked Santa for a puppy and a baby brother. Hell to the No was my answer. As it turns out Santa did bring them each a puppy (artificial) and they were totally thrilled.
A few other treats including moves, games and clothes but nothing too crazy. Tim wanted a tablet for around the house so we found one on sale for him. I have had the urge to sew for a few months now and it was time… Santa brought me a sewing machine. And not just any sewing machine but a project runway version. So. Freekin. Excited. I am nervous but very excited about it. After a great morning I was off to work (where I earned time and a half pay mind you with very little work to do). It was a great day… thanks baby Jesus. 

No comments: