Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Speaking of Teeth
It was a few months back but its too funny not to share the story... so
here we go. As we clean and organize I think its normal to come across
various things we have kept not know if we may need them in the future.
For example: a notebook, extra toothbrush or sweatshirt to do chores in.
But this is a new one for me (and I think pretty much any human being)
my mother came across teeth. Yes, that's correct... Teeth. My dad had
some dental work done a while back and the dentists offered his
extracted teeth to him as they had gold fillings. Not sure what the
value was, he put them in his desk and forgot about them. That was until
my mother was in a purging mood and deemed them of no value. When I
stopped by their house I walked into the kitchen and they there were,
teeth. Sitting right on the table. Gross. My mom then asked me if I was
interested in them? Really??? What am I going to do with teeth. But then
it came to me... In the past my mother has given me various items that
if I wanted to, I could return and keep the money. Usually they have
receipts but are expired by several years sometimes (twelve being the
longest fyi). But honestly, most stores (like Kohls) will take anything
back with a receipt. So I have had more than a little experience with
people looking at me cross. And this was no different. If I had the
balls to take the teeth into the pawn shop, I could have whatever they
were worth. So of course my mind started to race hoping they were the
golden ticket and worth a bajillion dollars. Over the summer I had found
a giant coin (we are talking mammoth and heavy) at a rummage sale for a
nickel. I picked it up (even for novelty's sake) but thought maybe it
had some value. So I took my two treasures into the pawn shop and waited
for the news... 5 bucks for the teeth and the same for the coin.
Bummer. After swallowing my disappointment I accepted the money for the
teeth (because honestly what would I do with them?) but I held onto the
coin. Its just a great story and I cant wait to pull it out as payment
somewhere. While I was waiting for the pawn shop's appraisal I had found
a few crazy awesome rings (I like em big and gaudy... metaphor for life
much?) so I was totally happy with my first pawn shop experience. It
makes me want to go through the house and find more treasures. But
really... what can top teeth?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment