Thursday, August 4, 2011

Candy and Tractors

I will never forget this day. A few weeks ago the girls and I went with my mom and dad to Luxemburg to watch a parade. It was two years ago at just this time that Kaitlynn, myself and my parents went to Milwaukee to see the Circus Parade... and we didn't even know that dad was sick... how things have changed. I guess that may be another reason I treasure this time so much. Bella was just an itty bitty baby then. I am just glad that the two of them got to share in this moment :) And share they did- candy! So it was hot... and I mean HOT. We found a nice bit of shade that was still on the parade route and nicest elderly couple let us claim four spots. Bella and dad hit the curb and Via myself and my mother had chairs right behind them. Now to help you understand a bit better, we are not talking parade like floats and clowns and such. We are talking about a few tractors, some trucks with people in the back, half a high school marching band and a handful of small town girls in dance classes- but it was just what we needed... and boy was there candy. This was Katie's first time at a parade where she could walk well so it was super exciting for her to run out and grab the candy off the road. At first you could tell she was confused cause she looked at me like "mom is this really happening- they are throwing out perfectly good candy into the street?" But after she got the green light from me to say it was okay- she was all over it. She even shared with all the people around us-no matter what the age- what a good girl! My dad was so helpful keeping her nice and close and he took every opportunity to teach her lessons about what we were seeing and why it was important. He even got into dealer names of tractors and told her stories about "this is the kind that your great grandpa used to like to use" and "That was my favorite type of tractor when I was a boy." It was adorable. I stayed sturdy emotionally with all the heartstrings being pulled but when the marching band stopped directly in front of us and started playing "On Wisconsin" I lost it- I started balling right then and there and the tears were just rolling down my face. Tears of joy mind you- but I was overwhelmed with emotion (which if you know me well is not my favorite thing)... I am just so blessed. Thank God for summers in Wisconsin.

No comments: