Monday, August 29, 2011

Yes We Can!!!

This is my attempt at a joke but let me tell you... canning is no joke! I am so grateful for the incredibly generous family we have.This past weekend we made the drive over to the Sparta/ Black river area to take part in something amazing- Canning. So for those of you who are not familiar with what I am referring too, let me enlighten you. Canning is where you take tons and tons of fresh veggies, clean them, cut them and put them into glass jars for future consumption down the line. However what they do not tell you is just how much damn work is involved. I was so impressed with my cousin Kristina (the commander in Chief), my Aunt Barb and Uncle Bruce and frankly the entire Johnson family because honestly- it was way more work than I ever thought. So when we were over for the 4th of July, Kyra mentioned that she liked eating canned beets. This is when I got the bright idea to talk to my aunt Barb about canning veggies and she invited us over their way to show us how. Kyra and I were totally thrilled and even more excited when we heard that AJ and Anna were coming too- it was the whole family. Now- the funniest part is when I tell you that it took all of us (13 adults) all day to clean all the veggies and get them into the jars... for Real. Krissy and Barb were really the ones that did the majority of the work but I got may hands dirty too ;) Poor Kris burnt herself a few times (with the hot water bath and pressure cooker) but she is a total trooper.My girls had fun playing with "the boys" in the sand and Kyra got to bounce back and forth between playing with the kiddos and cutting veggies. Her favorite person was there too- Michelle- who she calls "Chelly." Anna was great too because she was the baby wrangler for the weekend. I guess I should have been paying a little more attention to my chitlins but she is so good with them I kinda forgot to keep an eye on them (when do I get a little nephew again?). I think by the end of the day we canned like 50 jars of veggies ranging from beets to green beans, carrots, pickles and even 8 dozen ears of corn... we are talking a ton of food here people. We even went to go get more from the Amish farm down the road and it was neat to get a sneak peek into their very exclusive community. I tried to take a photo, but its a taboo to have any portraits taken. But you know me, I snuck a quick picture on our way out the drive... sassy Trina... I just couldn't help myself. I guess I just cant say Thank you enough for all the great memories that we made this weekend. I will never forget all the kids running around, the supper-time bonfire, the donkeys or all the awesome stories that were being told the whole time. Even when I look at the veggies in the grocery store I am reminded of how wonderful this time was with my family... as Miss Kyra Jean would say- "This was a funfilled day."

No comments: