Saturday, October 15, 2011

apple picking with nana and papa

A few weeks ago we went apple picking with Tim's parents. We also jumped into the pumpkin patch to see what we could find (I like the really ugly ones). This was the first time that Via had done anything like this outside of cherry picking over the summer. She just kept grabbing apples and when they would come off the trees she would do her little "O" face which is super cute. Bella was on a mission to try all the apple she possibly could. When she got to one where there was a spot on it she would say "This one yucky" and put it back on the ground for the chippies. I tried to teach her which ones were good and to leave the others behind but you could tell she was just not quite getting it. Kyra on the other hand is a total pro- this girl was in the Zone today. She was very particular about finding which type of tree we were picking apples from and making sure we could all distinguish the difference between them. Personally this was difficult for me because I don't even like apples (crazy so I have been told) - but I go along because it is important to my family and i love all the pictures we get. Sharon and Andy are always so generous and let us each pick out a pumpkin to take home. This year they even bought us apples and carmel dip for snacking -which made Timmy a very happy boy. All of us loved the wagon ride that takes you all the way from the parking lot to the pumpkin patch and through the apple trees in between... I think that may be my favorite part of the whole day and just the smell of the apples in the store (it reminds me of being a kid)
Kyra has always liked to peek through the trees at the orchard. This year with the new truck we actually let her ride in the back of the bed while Tim drove through the trees. She was smiling ear to ear and laughing out loud- out loud I tell you! I have to remember that she is still a little girl. I tried so hard to be a parent for her I think I may have gone over to the "evil stepmother" zone... which she assures me is not true but I am having a hard time adjusting to a preteen and two itty bittys. I can totally remember when I was Kyra's favorite person in the whole wide world... she called me "my Trina" and now all she does is roll her eyes at me when i tell her to make her bed... I just need to breathe I think- then maybe my eye will stop twitching.
Bella on the other hand is turning out to be an amazing helper- too good maybe. The other day I was folding laundry and she wanted to help. I figured this was a good a time as any to start so I told her to hand Mommy the clothes and that I would then fold them. Well it should be no surprise that Miss Kaitlynn Bella is just like her momma and is incredibly impatient. She got way ahead of me and when I told her to slow down she would just tell me that I need to go faster... this one will be trouble I think :)
Via spent most of her time at the orchard trying things out. She was totally amazed that the apples in her hand could go through the holes in the fence. And then she would drop them and didn't like the fact that they had to stay on the other side and she could not pick them up off the ground.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No worries, Trina. I don't think you are an evil step mom and that the eye rolling is any part of that. Cassie is always rolling her eyes...it seems. I think that at their age their heads have grown but not their eyes. Therefore their eyes just get loose in their sockets and therefore they can't keep them in one place. I keep telling myself that, otherwise I may just want to slap the kiddo ;)