Last Spring Tim and I had a Rummage Sale at our place that raised over 1400.00 in one weekend. That was in part because his parents were moving and contributed alot of items to the sale. What we realized when we packed up what was left... was that even after taking a dozen boxes to the local charity drop off... we had too much junk! So to stay in accordance to my "slim-down" plan for Winter hibernation- we had another rummage sale this fall. You never know what the weather is going to be like in Wisconsin, especially when its Fall or Spring time- most likely its cold and rainy. But we must have pleased the good-luck fairies because the weather this weekend was absolutely beautiful... I could not have asked for anything better. I noticed last spring that no one was buying the jeans, sweaters and long sleeved shirts that were out even though they were great name brands and incredible prices. What I theorized (I always look at Rummage sales as social experiments) is that people are only buying for the season immediately in front of them. For example: if its April, they are buying summer clothes and then in turn as Falls rolls around (like September) they will then be interested in heavier Winter items. So I set my hypothesis into action as we set up the sale to run Friday and Saturday. My parents took Katie to Madison with them for some adventuring and a Badger Fire-up so it was little Via and myself holding down the fort. Tim had to work on Friday which made the day a little challenging as I was by myself for the entire sale after he left at 11am but in the end it went great! And my hypothesis/ theory has been proven to be correct. People loaded up on the jeans and sweatshirts leaving the shorts and sandals behind for next Spring. We did not have as many people turn out as I have had in the Springtime but we still made 800.00 as a group (my parents, his parents, Jeremy, AJ and Anna, my girlfriend from work and the Tim and I) so it was a success no matter what. AND--- I only kept a few bins back for next year-woot woot!!! I was pretty proud of myself seeing my family thinks I have a tendency to hoard. I think its more of a tendency to keep items because I will need them someday in the foreseeable future... I think this is what they call "denial." (not sure if this will take 7 steps or not...)
These two beauties were acquired from the most unlikely source last night. When the rummage sale was over Tim and I decided to quick run the items we wanted to donate to the drop off site because there would be a Packer game on Sunday and we really didn't want to have to deal with the traffic and we were anticipating utter laziness to follow this whirlwind of activity. So we loaded up the truck with rummage gooddies, threw Via in her car seat and headed out in a hurry trying to beat the cook time on the Chinese takeout we had just ordered. (back story: a few months ago Tim and I went to the Wisconsin Dells and I introduced him to metal art sculpture. I have always been fascinated with it and now I have peeked his interest and appreciation as well. As we drove home from our weekend getaway we promised each other that someday we would be able to have something cool like that in our own yard) And today was that day. We were driving past a residential area in one of the sketchiest parts of town (I don't believe in all that mumbo jumbo... although they have definitely had their share of gunshots) and I made Timmy stand on the brakes and turn around STOOOOOPPPP!!! I probably could have reacted differently but I was so excited. There is someones driveway were these big metal sculptures with a for sale sign. The owner/artist was just putting them in his garage for the night so I had to stop and ask him how much they were. He said they were 35.00 each and without even the slightest hesitation I asked if he would do 2 for 50.00 --- SOLD! sweet :) It turns out that we were late picking up our order but the Crab Rangoon were still warm and crunchy--- a win win for sure!
This one even has a solar light inside of it so when it gets dark the open areas on the sides actually glow! Its like our very own Giant Glow Worm- hahaha
No comments:
Post a Comment