Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Another One Bites the Dust
Cell phone that is. I have been envious of smart phones for a while now but was never able to justify getting rid of my perfectly fine cell phone just because I wanted a fancy one. The new smart phones are a little intimidating to me but if I can figure out a Kindle I am sure I can manage a cell phone no matter how many bells and whistles. So here is the story: I was home with the girls on a Friday getting various chores done arou8nd the house; folding laundry, washing windows and tackling the pile of dishes overflowing from the sink onto the counter. Tim had to work and I wanted to send him a picture of Olivia sitting on the toilet trying to go potty like a big girl (not having to buy diapers anymore would be awesome!) and the signal in the kitchen was poor. SO I set my phone on the window sill hoping that there would be no interruption in my reception. The picture went through and then my phone rang... vibrating right off the window sill and into my sink full of dishes. CRAP. Ring Ring (under water mind you) "HI mom- I love you and my phone is going to die. Call the house" Within a few seconds a loud sizzle and a pop... and that was the end of my cell phone. Woopsie. I attempted for a few days to dry it out using various techniques that I had heard about from friends and searches on the Internet. I even carried that sucker around all day in a jar full of rice hoping that it would absorb all the moisture but alas my phone was kaput. Lucky for me not only did I have insurance on my phone but I was also eligible for an upgrade in early fall. So my beloved mother watched the bambinos while I went to the Sprint store to pick out a phone. Now for those of you who know me well know that I usually know what I want-- having an opinion and a preference in nearly any topic imaginable. I found myself at a disadvantage though without my husband along to give me the cliff-notes on the various cell phone varieties not knowing where to start. I was literally surrounded by salespeople that wanted my money but were not listening to them when I said "I want it to go on the Internet and look pretty" Hello!!! How hard a request is that? In the end I went back twice to be sure I liked the phone I chose (having previously searched the Internet for cheap pretty cases to match my mood of the month) and I went with a Samsung. The fancy one where you can push a button and send pictures or videos with a bump- yup that one. The trick (I am now realizing) is finding someone to bump with hahaha. At any rate I am happy with the choice I made and am now regretting not jumping on this smart phone band wagon years ago... think of all the damage I could have done with the Internet within a fingertip's reach. Sprint even gave me a "going green discount" because I traded in the phones I have had in the past for an account credit. To think I was letting the girls play with old phones that were worth over 20 bucks in scrap- whoops. Moral of the story: don't put your phone in harms way and never be afraid of change... good luck with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment