Monday, December 17, 2012
The After Party
Well in a sense I guess. Today was my father's retirement party from Wisconsin Public Service (power utility) where he has worked for over 25 years. I remember spending time at the office with him in the evenings and pretending I was a receptionist "fake" typing on the keyboards and taking messages, writing memos and scheduling meetings. I used to draw on the white board in his office leaving little I love you notes and little smiley faces to remind him that we were always thinking of him. His change jar full of quarters was always appreciated when I wanted to go and find the random vending machine with something delicious in it. I never got to go during the day but at night the whole building turned into a fun place to explore with winding halls, various planters (which I of-course pretended were deep in the jungle) and my favorite place--- the women's bathroom. Why? Because there was a full length couch/bench in there that I could lay on (or jump off of depending on the mood of the day) and pretty makeup, lotions and perfumes to test out (although I am sure I walked out of there smelling and looking pretty trashy--- no matter to me, I felt awesome. There were also office supplies that I got my sticky fingers into but the threat of Dad losing his job always came to mind and thanks to that good ol fashion Catholic guilt... I never really lifted more than a pen or a sticky notepad (headed to hell I know!). At any rate-- today was the day that the company thanked my father for all his hard work, long hours and dedication to their cause and customers. I was proud to be there in person (thank you Paula for watching the girls so I could go) and applaud all his efforts for both his family and his employer. I realized (after many bitter birthdays when he was out of town on business) that without him putting that much time into his job I would have never been able to experience all that I have and continue to with my family. Thanks Dad for being awesome and I look forward to seeing all the fun you will have in retirement... if you can relax that is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment