Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas # 1

It used to be years ago that we would vacation out in Arizona by my grandparents every Christmas. But when my grandma Jones died the holiday just wasn't quite as cheerful so we decided that every year over Christmas break and New Years we would travel to new and awesome locations with the Soto/Steinhausen crew from Austin Texas. This was super fun I loved it while it lasted but since I started working in the hospital I now have to work weekends and holidays too--- which shoots the holiday travel right out the door. I am however, able to take quick weekend jaunts this time of year so we loaded up the girls and headed over to the Western side of Wisconsin to see my dad's side of the family for a Christmas celebration. It has been really important to me to get over and see family as much as possible because honestly--- none of us are getting any younger. Also because I want the girls to see their cousins as much as they can while they are young and to experience all the things that families can do together (nuclear and extended). On Friday night we went out for fish (at literally one of my favorite restaurants on the face of the earth--- my cousin Theresa laughs at me for this but its sooooo good). Saturday my parents went with my Grandma to LaCrosse for a wedding so I had the whole day with the girls. We decided to scoot over to my cousin Theresa's house which is only a few miles away (I of course got lost and ended up going a good half hour our of my way- Damn GPS) and made it just in time to help make some delicious treats which may or may not have been productive because for every one that made it to the cookie sheet... I probably ate at least two. No matter :) The kids had fun playing with each other running up and down the steps a million times each. They loved decorating the gingerbread men that my cousin Kristina got for them... delicious and messy but fun! When It got dark we loaded all five kids into the van and headed into Sparta to check out the Christmas lights at the park. And who was there??? Santa!!! (I am sure you can imagine Kaitlynn's surprise with yet another Santa Claus--eesh). They all took turns sitting on his lap for the most part. The little ones were not all that interested and headed straight for the candy- which was okay because it was a tiny room and pretty darn cold (I guess an accurate portrayal of the "NOrth POle.") We walked around the grounds which were all lit up for the holiday with tons of lights and displays. All he kids were in their winter gear which included snow pants, puffy jackets, snow boots, hats and mittens and two ibuprofen for the mommies. It always seems like a good idea to start with-- the magic of Christmas. Looking at the lights and reminiscing about being a child unassuming that your children will be just as in awe as you were... but they weren't. They really didn't care. All they wanted to do was eat the snow and run all over the parking lot. Should have thought this one through a little more but like I said... it seemed like a good idea.
 Krissy dishig up the Brandy slush--- a favorite Herrman holiday treat (yes its boozy)
 All the great- grandchildren except little newcomer Kevin who was in Minnesota

Sunday was spent at my cousin's house and the entire extended family (my aunts and uncles, the cousins and the great grandchildren) were all there. Thank goodness she has such a large and open house because there sure were alot of us. Instead of doing a big noon hour meal we opted for munchies and all our favorite snacks--- it was AWESOME!!! I had little wienies, chips, veggies and dip and no less than 5 deserts... heaven I tell you. We did presents for the little kids (who loved it of course) and then we all opened our gifts from Grandma (my Dad's mom and only living grandparent) and I cried. I literally cried. It didn't seem like alot to her and she kept apologizing and saying it wasn't much--- but it meant a whole lot to me. A little wooden owl tablet holder that I used to play with as a child and two antique books: medicine and photography. It was FOR SURE one of the best and most thoughtful gifts I have ever been given. Bar none. God love ya Grandma- thank you.
Speaking of photography--- I made everyone get in at least one picture... hahaha

No comments: