Thursday, September 1, 2011

Middle School

Prepare yourself people- we have a 6th grader on our hands... and boy was it different getting ready for school this year. In the past, we have always provided Kyra with her back to school supplies which has also included clothing. This year was different though in the sense that she was an active participant- and a picky one at that ;) For the most part I didn't mind and actually ended up encouraging it. Why you may ask... well here is an example- a few weeks ago Kyra came up the steps wearing jeans and a Halloween Tshirt- its 90 degrees and August. I am the first to admit that I would love it to be Halloween all year long and creative pairing in a wardrobe is a must but this was a little much. So she marched back to her room (and let me know she was crabby about having to change) and it started my personal commitment to helping her put some outfits together. this particular picture of in the first day of school and she was SUPER nervous to go. For the past few weeks she would sit in her room and go through her school supplies (which I did as a kid so its not that weird- right?) and lay out her outfit ideas for the first few days. I get that she wanted to WOW her friends but it ended up being an obsession and stopped her from getting through her day without mentioning it like a million and a half times. We have contemplated for actually a few years (bad parenting I know) about setting Kyra up with a counselor. Someone who she can speak with about her day to day worries without censoring herself to avoid hurt feelings on either side. I know since the addition of her two step brothers and her mom's live in boyfriend she has had a little added stress. Not to mention the fact that now she has two new sisters on her dad's side, so our little "tweenager" is having to deal with a little more than a typical preteen. I try to hug her every chance I get and remember that she is still a child but even she will tell you that she is "a master in manipulation." Now let me tell you... if a 11 year old girl tells you she is a master of manipulation... it kinda makes your skin crawl... ah Miss Pam the counselor... here we come.

No comments: