There is something about Summertime in Wisconsin that makes me always think about Breakfast on the Farm. I guess its because my dad grew up on a farm and so when we were kids we were always going to various Dairy Days and farming events. I used to hate going to them… but now being able to share them with my girls and watching my dad teach them all about the different equipment and animals is pretty much amazing. It usually starts with us parking in a giant field and taking either a horse drawn wagon (my mom’s favorite) or a tractor drawn wagon (my dad’s favorite) from the car to the farm. My mother always B-lines it for the ticket line so that we get a good
spot which leaves dad with a girl or two and me typically man-handling
the stroller to get it off the wagon before it takes off again. I have
never been a huge breakfast fan but over the years it has grown on me.
Especially when they go all out: scrambled eggs with ham and onions,
pizza, cheese curds, mozzarella sticks, ice cream, cinnamon bread,
butter, lots of butter and even more butter. Yesterday we went to one up
in Door County and I was disappointed because they only had eggs,
cheese and pancakes- yuck! However, they also had “grandma fresh” cherry
topping--- I think I now love pancakes lol. After we eat then we head
out to meet the animals and play some games (for candy of course). I
like when I find the coolers full of free string cheese--- its like
opening a treasure chest. I usually bring a little lunch bag cooler so I
can make a stash (which usually lasts us about a week at the Bronander
house… we are a bunch of cheese fiends). We know its time to go after
the sugar crash hits and it’s nice if we can get the tour of the grounds
in before this but that is not always possible. A melt down here and
there is expected especially with how hot it is in June and July. Dad
takes them in stride but the one who really freaks out is my mom. I
still have yet to figure this out. Probably because she is uncomfortable
in crowds to begin with and since the cancer my dad has been a little
more relaxed (or forgetful which ever term you care to use) which makes
her constantly wonder what’s going on. Ahhhh retirement bliss.
No comments:
Post a Comment