Sunday, July 7, 2013

Renaissance Fair... is that how you spell it?


We borrowed Kyra today for a few hours which we don’t typically do on her mom’s weekend (because frankly I hate it when she does it on ours) but Kyra wanted to tag along with Tim and I on an adventure…wait for it… a Renaissance Faire. Yes, that’s right. Tim has gotten me to geek it up to the point where I have finally lost it… and guess what? I actually had fun. Now at first, I must say that people pretending they were in the middle ages and speaking (quite poorly at times) in “character” drove me nuts. Probably because I am a tiny bit jealous of them for being so outgoing and carefree. But then I realize that we all have a place where we are comfortable and this was just that place for Renaies--- it’s like carnies but without the carnival. I fashioned this nickname myself. Thanks. SO anyways, after I got over myself being a crabby pants and pointing out all of the flaws in people’s outfits, accessories and accents I let it all go. I gave into the enchanted forest and became one with the natives… and it was awesome! When we first got there we watched a full on duel with horses and everything. There was a king and queen and all the guests were encouraged to dress up as well (I didn’t know this but good thing I was wearing a dress anyway). Kyra got the chance to try on a dress in a little vendor tent and I quick had her pose with a few other people. She was a total poster child for youth involvement with non-electronic entertainment. I swear that child is either on her cell phone, her I Pad or the laptop at all times. But for these few precious hours she was disconnected from the outside world and totally ours… it was great. Tim bought a sword as a memento and I had reserved myself to leaving with just having tried the most fabulous frozen cheesecake (on a stick). I was a happy girl for sure. But then we happened upon a vendor that was selling these weird ear extensions… like a fairy dragon combo. I had to have them. I had seen a girl walking around with a pair earlier and thought they were the most fabulous thing ever. And now here was my chance to have a pair of my very own. I didn’t care how much they were, I was going to be a fairy! Well 30.00 dollars later and eating a whole lot of crow I was a darn fine woodland creature. I figure if I wear them every Halloween for the next 15 years I will have gotten my money out of it. Eeesh. Side note: When we were walking to the car I saw the girl with the cool ears walking towards us. She gave me a nod (like the gangsters do) on the low profile and I knew I was part of the club--- yes! Viva la Renaissance faire!!!

No comments: