Saturday, July 20, 2013

Bucket List (check check)

Our last day of vacation was my favorite. Not based purely on months worth of anticipation but because I love a good plan. First: free breakfast. Check. I would usually let the girls go down for continental breakfast in their jammies but seeing Tims parents were along I thought it best to get the dressed first (I have to at least try and look like a good mother). Who at all the cheesecake danishes??? I couldn't help but ask the attendant but low ad behold there they were, and even chilled- woohoo!


 We packed up the hotel room and we our way to see the headquarters of the American Pickers (as seen on the History channel). It was only a twenty minute drive but it felt like a million hours… I just couldn’t contain my excitement. We pulled into the little driveway (which looks massive on TV) and there were a bajillion people. I guess I was under the delusion that the rest of American is that they are in the middle of nowhere with all this property and giant warehouse. When infact this Iowa location is their home base, it’s more of a little museum and gift shop. Disappointed? Yes. Still super happy I got to go? Hells yes. We took a bunch of pictures and took a once around (twice around in my case) of the showroom and then checked out the merchandise for sale. Now granted you could buy one of the things they bought out in the field from the show but they were WAY overpriced. So that was a no-go for me. Even the T-shirts were a bit pricey so we got some stickers, a metal sign and were on our merry way. I know Kyra was a little disappointed that Mike, Danielle and Frank were not there for her to meet but it was still amazing to think we touched the same doorknob and VWbus they drive in on the show. No matter what, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Speaking of once in a lifetime- our next stop was the Worlds largest truck stop. Weird right? That’s what this whole trip was about for us. Embracing our oddities, answering our urges to see the taboo and creating some pretty awesome family memories… that’s what this summer vacation was all about. Andy and Sharon accompanied us to the Picker’s shop and again to the truckstop off of I-80. We all walked around taking in all the different things for sale and all the different types of people in one place. I honestly thought I would see hookers walking around propositioning the truckers but I guess I was a little off on that one. Prostitution being illegal and all. Each of the girls picked out a souvenir (Nana and Papa spoil those girls lol) and even Timmy found something to being home to remember our trip. I had bought a sign at the Pickers so I was all good but was running around taking pictures of the place. It was HUGE. There was a dentist, a chiropractor, a hair salon and more. There was even an old car hanging from the ceiling and Andy (Tim’s dad) was explaining it to me. He sure knows a lot about old cars. It was nice and cool inside the building and none of us wanted to leave but it was time to start the 5 hour drive back to Green bay. We gave our hugs and kisses and got loaded up in the magnum. Andy and Sharon stayed on for another night in the hotel and so they were headed back there. As we were driving back Tim and I noticed that there were tons of Happy Joe’s signs. I had no idea that there were some many down here. I thought I was a Green Bay/ Appleton restaurant but it turns out its all over the place. Who would have thunk it?

No comments: