Monday, December 12, 2011

Big Girl Bed... Again

Well when Olivia was born Katie was sleeping in a toddler bed in the “nursery” and doing just fine. At night time Olivia slept with us ( in a bassinet) and Bella was on her own in the room she was used to. When we started bringing Olivia up to the nursery, that’s when everything changed. Miss Bella Vista was not so keen on sleeping in her toddler bed anymore especially with her sister in the room. That’s when it all started to go downhill because she would wake up in the middle of the night crying. Tim and I were so tired that we just brought her into our bed - big mistake… and that was about 6 month ago. Well since then she wants to fall asleep in our bed too which was an even worse idea! At first we would be able to mover her to her own bed and get a few hours of sleep without her sharing the covers. But eventually this changed to where she wouldn’t even let us move her at night. It was actually kind of funny because I would come home after work around 1130… she would not even open her eyes when I picked her up but she would say “no momma… not my bed, your bed.” Eeesh, I am a pushover I guess. When Kyra moved her bedroom to the basement, Katie had her own big girl bed in her new room but that magic only lasted no more than a few days. When Kaitlynn turned three Timmy and I had that talk that all couples have where we look at the parenting we have done so far and discuss where we need to improve. The obvious one would be to get our three year old out of our bed… especially seeing she sleeps sideways! Well this past week Tim has been off of work and his goal is to get Bella to sleep in her room… and she has all week (knock on wood)! The trick… a little classical music playing in her room- I am kicking myself for not thinking of that earlier. But I have to give full credit to my hubby because every night now he lays down with her in her big girl bed in her big girl room, reads her a story and tucks her into bed… I admit the man has talent (and some patience that I sure don’t have). So goal #1 accomplished- next step is to get rid of the pacifier at nap time and to get big girl undies ready for some hard-core potty training.

No comments: